Define R/Q: How to Add in Quotient Groups

In summary, the R\Q question is asking for a description of a set of disjoint cosets such that their union is real numbers.
matness
how to define R\Q?(under addition)
R\Q={a+Q:? <a<?}
a€R but if it is not bounded then it will repeat
please help me
n

Physics news on Phys.org
you define [x]+[y] to be [x+y] wehre [z] means the equivalence class of y (ie the coset y+Q)

quotient group is the set of cosets y+Q but if i take y€R the sets begin to repeat (it is a cyclic group, isn't it?)i
for example R\Z ={x+Z: 0<x<1} is set of disjoint sets
so can we also find conditions for y to be disjoint and nice?

of course the groups isn't cyclic, it isn't even countable os can't have a singel generator. i struggle to understand your question. what "sets" begin to repeat? plus all cosets are disjoint or equal. do you simply want a "nice" way of describing the equivalence classes? i doubt there is one.

mattgrime:<do you simply want a "nice" way of describing the equivalence classes?>
probably. sorry for misremembering the defn for cyclic groups

what i want to know is a description for set of disjoint (but not same) cosets such that their union is real numbers.

the R\Q question crossed my mind because of the description R\Z ={x+Z: 0<x<1} if x were bounded as 0<x<2 some of the elements of the R\Z would be same That is what i mean by "repetition".
but i could'nt describe a set for R\Q in the same way

All of these seemed to me related to counting. when counting real numbers(it is a bit utopian) adding a number € Z and a real number between 0 and 1 is enough. (e.g. 3.4=3+0.4 and this representation is unique using this method)
but same method using rational numbers does not work ,
can we say adding a number € Q and an irrational number between 0 and 1 is enough .
(a real number is more than enough)

thanks in advance

1. What is a quotient group?

A quotient group, also known as a factor group, is a mathematical concept in abstract algebra that represents the set of all possible cosets of a given subgroup within a larger group. It is denoted by G/H, where G is the original group and H is the subgroup.

2. How is a quotient group formed?

A quotient group is formed by partitioning the elements of the original group into distinct cosets, where each coset contains elements that are related by the subgroup H. The resulting quotient group contains the same number of cosets as the index of H in G.

3. How are elements added in quotient groups?

In quotient groups, elements are added by first adding the corresponding elements in the original group G, and then applying the necessary operations to ensure that the result remains within the given subgroup H. This process is known as the coset addition rule.

4. What is the significance of quotient groups?

Quotient groups have many applications in mathematics, particularly in the study of group theory. They help to simplify the structure of a group, making it easier to analyze and understand. They also allow for the creation of new groups with different properties by choosing different subgroups to factor by.

5. Can quotient groups be used in real-world applications?

Yes, quotient groups have practical applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics. In these fields, quotient groups are used to represent and analyze complex systems, making them an important tool for problem-solving and decision-making.