Quotient Map Theorem: Topology Induced by f

In summary, Theorem 9.2 from Stephen Willard's General Topology states that if X and Y are topological spaces and f:X\to Y is continuous and either open or closed, then the topology \tau on Y is the quotient topology induced by f. This requires f to be onto, as only surjective maps can define the quotient topology. The same construction can be done for any map, but if it is surjective, it is called the quotient topology. The definition also specifies that f must be an open mapping.
ForMyThunder
Here is theorem 9.2 from Stephen Willard's General Topology:

If [tex]X[/tex] and [tex]Y[/tex] are topological spaces and [tex]f:X\to Y[/tex] is continuous and either open or closed, then the topology [tex]\tau[/tex] on [tex]Y[/tex] is the quotient topology induced by [tex]f[/tex].

So [tex]f[/tex] has to be onto doesn't it? Otherwise there will be multiple topologies on [tex]Y[/tex] that satisfy the hypotheses but are not the quotient topology?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, f has to be onto. This must be because [tex]\tau_f[/tex] is only defined for surjective maps.

And it is also used when they say [tex]f[f^{-1}(U)]=U[/tex]...

I advise you to do exercise 9H. Given any map f:X\to Y, with X a top. space, we can give Y the strongest topology that makes f continuous: {U in Y whose inverse image under f is open in X}. More generally this can be done for a collection of maps f_i:X_i\to Y, and take {U in Y for which the inverse image under each f_i's is open in X}. In the terminology of Willard, say that such a family of maps {f_i}_i "covers points of Y" iff each y in Y is in the image of some f_i. In this case, the topology just described is called the "quotient topology".

In particular, if the collection {f_i}_i consists of a single function, it covers points iff it is surjective. So this reduces to the definition that if f:X\to Y is surjective, then the strongest topology making f continuous is the quotient topology.

I guess my point is: the exact same construction can be done for any map, surjective or not. But if it is surjective, then we call it the quotient topology, because this amounts to dividing out an equivalence relation, i.e. 'glueing'.

But the strongest topology on Y that makes $f:X\to Y$ continuous immediately declares that all point sets outside the image of f are open. But the theorem as stated could declare that any subset of $Y-f(X)$ is open and still be the quotient topology. Okay, I see in the definition of the quotient topology it specifies an open mapping. Thanks.

ForMyThunder said:
But the strongest topology on Y that makes $f:X\to Y$ continuous immediately declares that all point sets outside the image of f are open.
That's true.
But the theorem as stated could declare that any subset of $Y-f(X)$ is open and still be the quotient topology. Okay, I see in the definition of the quotient topology it specifies an open mapping.
You mean onto?

Yep, my B.

1. What is the Quotient Map Theorem?

The Quotient Map Theorem is a fundamental result in topology that describes the relationship between a continuous function and the topology it induces on a quotient space. It states that if a function f: X → Y is continuous, surjective, and open, then the quotient space Y with the topology induced by f is a topological quotient of X.

2. What is a quotient space?

A quotient space is a topological space that is obtained by identifying or "gluing" points of a given space together. This is done by defining an equivalence relation on the original space and then considering the resulting equivalence classes as points in the quotient space.

3. How is the topology induced by f defined?

The topology induced by f is defined as the collection of subsets of Y that are the images of open sets in X under the function f. In other words, a subset U of Y is open in the quotient space if and only if f-1(U) is open in X.

4. What is the significance of the Quotient Map Theorem?

The Quotient Map Theorem is important because it allows us to study complicated spaces by breaking them down into simpler quotient spaces. It also helps us understand the relationship between continuous functions and the topologies they induce, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science.

5. Can the Quotient Map Theorem be applied to non-continuous functions?

No, the Quotient Map Theorem only applies to continuous functions. If a function is not continuous, it may not preserve the topology of the original space, and the quotient space may not be a topological quotient of the original space.