Solve Race Car G Problem: How Many G's?

• Thread starter strugglin-physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Race
In summary, the driver of a race car experiences a little over 2 g's while covering a quarter-mile track in 6.27 seconds, assuming constant acceleration. For the second problem, the magnitude of the maximum force acting on a mass of 24 kg can be calculated using the formula F=ma, with acceleration being the double prime of the position formula.
strugglin-physics
A particular race car can cover a quarter-mile track (402 m) in 6.27 seconds, starting from a standstill. Assuming the acceleration is constant, how many "g's" does the driver experience?

This has to be a really easy problem as I am given the m and the sec but I can not figure out what formula to use for this problem...

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
x = x + vt + 1/2at^2
402m = 0 + 0 + 1/2(a)(6.27^2)
804m = 39.3129a
a = 804/39.3129
a = 20.45m/s/s

since one 'g' = 9.8
the driver experiences a little bit over 2 g's?

OH that makes sense. I was trying to use the formula F=ma to solve the problem. Oops. Thank you much for your assistance.

Maybe you could help me with this problem also?
The position of a mass m = 24 kg is given (in m) by x(t) = 7sin(5t). Calculate the magnitude of the maximum force acting on the mass.

I know that acceleration is the double prime of the formula but I don't know how to find the maximum force.

1. What are G-forces and how do they affect race cars?

G-forces, or gravitational forces, are the forces of acceleration and deceleration experienced by objects due to gravity. In the context of race cars, G-forces can be felt by both the car and the driver, and can affect the car's speed, handling, and the driver's physical well-being.

2. How do you measure G-forces in a race car?

G-forces are typically measured using an accelerometer, which is a device that can detect changes in acceleration in multiple directions. In race cars, accelerometers are often placed in various locations on the car to measure G-forces in different directions.

3. What is a safe level of G-forces for a race car driver?

The safe level of G-forces for a race car driver varies depending on the individual's physical condition and the type of race car they are driving. However, for most drivers, G-forces above 5 G's can start to cause discomfort and potential health risks.

4. How do race car engineers reduce G-forces in their designs?

Race car engineers use a variety of techniques to reduce G-forces in their designs. This can include using advanced suspension systems, designing aerodynamic body shapes, and placing the driver in a reclined position to distribute the forces more evenly.

5. Can race car drivers train to withstand higher levels of G-forces?

Yes, race car drivers can train to withstand higher levels of G-forces through physical training and specialized exercises. This can help to improve their endurance and reduce the risk of injury from high G-forces during races.