Radial and tangential velocities for Inviscid flow (fluid mechanics)

In summary, the speaker can differentiate the stream-function expression to get the tangential and radial velocities, which are needed to solve the problem. The radial velocity must be zero at the surface of the cylinder, but the tangential velocity does not have to be zero. The leading and trailing edges of the cylinder are stagnation points where both components of velocity are zero.
wahaj
After I have an expression for the stream-function in a problem, I can differentiate to get the tangential and radial velocities because I need those to solve the problem. But I don't understand when the tangential velocity will be 0 and when the radial is 0. Can some on explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
wahaj said:
After I have an expression for the stream-function in a problem, I can differentiate to get the tangential and radial velocities because I need those to solve the problem. But I don't understand when the tangential velocity will be 0 and when the radial is 0. Can some on explain?

Is this for flow past a cylinder or past a sphere?

Chet

I didn't realize there was a difference but cylinders for this question.

If you're referring to the radial and tangential velocity components at the surface of the cylinder, then the radial component has to be zero, since you can't have flow through the solid surface of the cylinder. For inviscid flow, the tangential component of the velocity does not have to be zero at a solid surface. The leading edge and the trailing edge of the cylinder are both stagnation points, so both components of velocity are zero at these points.

Chet

Thanks for clearing this up.

1. What is the difference between radial and tangential velocities?

Radial velocity refers to the component of fluid motion that is directed towards or away from the center of rotation, while tangential velocity is the component that is perpendicular to the radial direction.

2. How are radial and tangential velocities calculated for inviscid flow?

In inviscid flow, the fluid is assumed to have no viscosity, which means there is no friction between layers of fluid. This allows us to use the Euler equations to calculate the velocities, where the radial velocity is determined by the pressure gradient and the tangential velocity is determined by the vorticity of the flow.

3. What is the significance of radial and tangential velocities in fluid mechanics?

Radial and tangential velocities are important parameters in fluid mechanics as they help us understand the flow patterns and forces acting on a fluid. They also play a crucial role in determining the behavior of fluid systems, such as in fluid machinery and aerodynamics.

4. How does inviscid flow differ from viscous flow?

Inviscid flow is an idealized flow model that assumes no friction or viscosity between layers of fluid. In contrast, viscous flow takes into account the effects of viscosity on the fluid's behavior. This means that in viscous flow, there is a transfer of momentum between layers of fluid, resulting in shear forces and dissipation of energy.

5. Can radial and tangential velocities change during fluid flow?

Yes, radial and tangential velocities can change during fluid flow due to changes in pressure or vorticity in the flow. These changes can be calculated using the Euler equations for inviscid flow. Additionally, external forces, such as gravity or applied forces, can also alter the velocities of the fluid.