Radiation and penetrability of materials

In summary, beta decay from a beta-source can penetrate a material of a certain thickness, but the amount of energy that is released in the process is split between the daughter particle and the alpha particle.
SmileyMan
Is it possible to calculate whether or not beta decay from a given beta-source can penetrate a material of a certain thickness? I'm thinking something along the lines of first calculating the average eV of the decay (What do you need to know about the source to do this?), and then looking up/calculating the penetrability of the shielding material per millimetre. I imagine the end theoretical product to be in the following format:

This beta source emits beta particles with an average energy of x eV each. The shielding material has a penetrability of y KeV/mm. Given the thickness of the material in my experiment, the beta decay with x eV will therefore not penetrate the layer of shielding material.

These calculations do not need to be super accurate; I just want to put my cloud chamber to good use.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you need more information to answer my question, or did I place this in the wrong section?

Beta radiation should be stopped by almost anything solid. Even your skin, which is only mm's thick, will stop Beta radiation. Unless you have some materiel that is just ridiculously thin you should be fine.

QuantumPion said:
I googled around a bit and came up with two useful links that may help you:

http://health.phys.iit.edu/extended_archive/0205/msg00176.html

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~scdiroff/lds/QuantumRelativity/PenetrationandShielding/PenetrationandShielding.html

Thank you very much. Those links are definitely useful.

Drakkith said:
Beta radiation should be stopped by almost anything solid. Even your skin, which is only mm's thick, will stop Beta radiation. Unless you have some materiel that is just ridiculously thin you should be fine.

Righto, I would just like to be able calculate this. :biggrin:

If anyone has more sites that explain the units and the math step-by-step, please, don't hesitate from sharing.

SmileyMan said:
Thank you very much. Those links are definitely useful.

Righto, I would just like to be able calculate this. :biggrin:

If anyone has more sites that explain the units and the math step-by-step, please, don't hesitate from sharing.

Ah ok.

When calculating the kinetic energy of an alpha particle I use the mass-energy equivalence. First I find the difference in mass between mmother particle and (mdaughter particle + malpha particle), then by inserting this into Einstein's formula I can calculate how much energy is released in the decay-process. I assume that this quantity has to be split between the daughter particle and the alpha particle, seeing as they both gain kinetic energy in the decay-process. How is this done?

Last edited:
Right, I don't know how I could miss this sub-section when deciding where to place my thread. My apologies.

Never mind this topic. I just realized that there are some pretty big theoretical holes in my attempts.

Related to Radiation and penetrability of materials

1. What is radiation and how does it affect materials?

Radiation is the emission of energy as electromagnetic waves or as moving subatomic particles. It can affect materials by breaking chemical bonds, causing structural changes, and damaging their physical properties.

2. What determines the penetrability of materials to radiation?

The penetrability of materials to radiation is determined by their density, thickness, and composition. Generally, denser and thicker materials are more effective at blocking radiation, while materials with higher atomic number (such as lead) are better at absorbing radiation.

3. Can all types of radiation penetrate materials?

No, different types of radiation have different levels of penetrability. For example, gamma rays and X-rays are highly penetrating and can pass through many materials, while alpha particles and beta particles are less penetrating and can be stopped by a sheet of paper or a few centimeters of air.

4. How can we protect ourselves from radiation?

There are various ways to protect ourselves from radiation depending on the type and intensity of the radiation. Some common methods include wearing protective gear (such as lead aprons for X-rays), minimizing exposure time, and using shielding materials (such as concrete or lead) to block or absorb radiation.

5. What are some common materials used for radiation shielding?

Some common materials used for radiation shielding include lead, concrete, steel, and water. These materials have high atomic numbers and densities, making them effective at absorbing and blocking radiation. Other materials such as boron, cadmium, and polyethylene may also be used for specific types of radiation.