Radiation heat exchange between two surfaces.

In summary: So, the rate of heat transfer to the sphere is 3.04 W.In summary, the problem involves calculating the heat transfer from the walls of a furnace to a spherical object with a diameter of 10 millimeters and an emissivity of 0.9, which is kept at 353 degrees Kelvin. Since the sphere is in a vacuum, the only heat transfer mechanism is radiation. The equation for determining the rate of heat transfer between two objects is q = sigma * epsilon * (T1**4 - T2**4), where sigma is Stefan Boltzmann and epsilon is emissivity. The calculated rate of heat transfer from the walls to the sphere is 3.04 W.
goldark

Homework Statement

Prepairing for a test and this one came up that's confusing me.

A spherical object, water cooled, with a diameter of 10 milimeters and ε = 0,9 is kept at 353 degrees Kelvin, when placed in a very large furnace where a vacuum is formed and which walls are kept at 673 degrees kelvin.

What's the Transfered heat exchange (same as heat flux I think) by the furnace walls into the object?

Homework Equations

q =A ε σ T4
q =A ε σ (Ts4 - To4)
hr = A ε σ (Ts4 + To4)(Ts + To)Ts - Surface temperature
To - object temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

I know from the solution is 3,04 W. But I don't know how to get there.
At first it seemed very straight forward since I'm given all the data to just replace the values in the formula. I've tried that but the value is always different from the solution.
What confuses me is that what is asked is the transferred heat exchange from the walls to the object not the other way arround.
Would really apreciate some help on this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the sphere is in a vacuum, the only heat transfer mechanism is radiation.

The equation for determining the rate of heat transfer between two objects is:

q = sigma * epsilon * (T1**4 - T2**4)

where sigma is Stefan Boltzmann and epsilon is emissivity.

Note that the equation can be used to determine heat into or out of an object. I have computed the numbers and the answer drops right out.

If the small sphere is the only item in the furnace, the heat transfer from the walls equals the heat transfer to the sphere.

Last edited:

What is radiation heat exchange between two surfaces?

Radiation heat exchange is a process in which two surfaces transfer heat through electromagnetic waves without direct contact. This type of heat transfer occurs between two objects at different temperatures.

How does radiation heat exchange differ from conduction and convection?

Radiation heat exchange does not require a medium for heat transfer, unlike conduction and convection. It can occur in a vacuum and is not affected by the material between the two surfaces.

What factors affect the rate of radiation heat exchange?

The rate of radiation heat exchange is affected by the temperature and emissivity of the two surfaces, as well as the distance between the two surfaces and the presence of any intervening materials.

What is emissivity and how does it impact radiation heat exchange?

Emissivity is the ability of a surface to emit thermal radiation. A surface with high emissivity will radiate more heat and have a greater impact on the rate of radiation heat exchange compared to a surface with low emissivity.

Can radiation heat exchange be controlled?

Yes, radiation heat exchange can be controlled through the use of materials with different emissivity values, as well as by manipulating the temperature and distance between the two surfaces.