Radio Contolled Helicopters Concept

In summary, the concept behind fixed pitch radio controlled helicopters is that the main blades have a constant angle and the altitude is controlled by adjusting the speed of the main motor. The transmitter controls an amplifier that sends varying voltage to the motor, allowing for movements such as yaw. Fixed pitch helicopters do not have collective or cyclic control, but some designs use passive mechanical controls, such as paddles, to stabilize and control the helicopter's movements.
mastidude
Radio Contolled Helicopters Concept!

Hi guys does anybody know concepts behind the Fixed pitch Radio heli principle

Thnx a lot in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
As I understand it, with a Fixed Pitch the angle of the main blades remains constant and the flyer controls altitude by using the speed of the main motor, simply creating more or less lift by choosing the attitude of the helicopter (which determines how much of the lift propels the helicopter forward, and how much upward) and the speed of rotation (which provides the lift).

-a.

aresnick said:
As I understand it, with a Fixed Pitch the angle of the main blades remains constant and the flyer controls altitude by using the speed of the main motor, simply creating more or less lift by choosing the attitude of the helicopter (which determines how much of the lift propels the helicopter forward, and how much upward) and the speed of rotation (which provides the lift).

-a.

Hi thanks for ur reply!

You are correct on that but I am not able to understand how would the speed of DC motor vary with help of a Transmitter?
Can you give an idea how would the thrust be produced and how would an helicopter move left or right by speed variation??
Thnx a lot

I believe that the transmitter controls what's essentially an amplifier (either via op-amp or transistor), controlling the size of the voltage sent to the motor. So I believe fixed pitch helicopters can't actually roll unless they have extra ailerons; without ailerons, the torque control is used to slip (that is, yaw) the helicopter left and right.

aresnick said:
I believe that the transmitter controls what's essentially an amplifier (either via op-amp or transistor), controlling the size of the voltage sent to the motor. So I believe fixed pitch helicopters can't actually roll unless they have extra ailerons; without ailerons, the torque control is used to slip (that is, yaw) the helicopter left and right.
thanx a ton .. it answered my question perfectly!

I just wanted to add a bit to this...

Fixed pitch helicopters will have no collective (rotors rotating equally on each side to provide more/less lift) or cyclic (rotors rotating unequally on each side to provide tilt in any direction, be it forward, backward, or left and right). The tail rotor balances the torque from the main rotors and changing the tail rotor speed gives the helicopter yaw (like aresnick said).

Now, I have a small remote controlled helicopter that has no control for collective or cyclic control. All of the control is done by speeding up the main rotors (which means I also have to increase the tail rotor speed so that it faces in the same direction). What's neat about the helicopters I have is that they aren't fixed pitch, I just can't actively change the pitch. There are 2 main blades and 2 paddles. The paddles are short and stubby and are offset by the main rotors by about 30 degrees or so. They have weights on them. What happens, is that if the helicopter tilts in any direction, the weight of the paddles resist this, and this resistance is mechanically linked to the main rotors. The paddles, in effect, cause the main rotors to tilt in a way that forces the helicopter to right itself. This is because a pure fixed-pitch helicopter will be very unstable with only 2 blades, but by adding a passive mechanical control, it can be stable.

Also, because of the paddles, I can add weight to the nose of the helicopter which will make the helicopter fly forward. It's a really simple design, and you can buy the things for about $20 or less now.

Greg Freeman said:
I just wanted to add a bit to this...

Fixed pitch helicopters will have no collective (rotors rotating equally on each side to provide more/less lift) or cyclic (rotors rotating unequally on each side to provide tilt in any direction, be it forward, backward, or left and right). The tail rotor balances the torque from the main rotors and changing the tail rotor speed gives the helicopter yaw (like aresnick said).

Now, I have a small remote controlled helicopter that has no control for collective or cyclic control. All of the control is done by speeding up the main rotors (which means I also have to increase the tail rotor speed so that it faces in the same direction). What's neat about the helicopters I have is that they aren't fixed pitch, I just can't actively change the pitch. There are 2 main blades and 2 paddles. The paddles are short and stubby and are offset by the main rotors by about 30 degrees or so. They have weights on them. What happens, is that if the helicopter tilts in any direction, the weight of the paddles resist this, and this resistance is mechanically linked to the main rotors. The paddles, in effect, cause the main rotors to tilt in a way that forces the helicopter to right itself. This is because a pure fixed-pitch helicopter will be very unstable with only 2 blades, but by adding a passive mechanical control, it can be stable.

Also, because of the paddles, I can add weight to the nose of the helicopter which will make the helicopter fly forward. It's a really simple design, and you can buy the things for about $20 or less now.
Thanx for that info ! Really appreciated!
so its flybar which causes tilting of rotor mast and ultimately the movement forward!

What is the concept behind radio controlled helicopters?

The concept behind radio controlled helicopters is using a remote control device to manipulate the movement and direction of a small helicopter. The remote control sends signals to the helicopter's receiver, which then activates the corresponding motors and servos to control the helicopter's flight.

How do radio controlled helicopters work?

Radio controlled helicopters work by utilizing a combination of electronic components, including a transmitter, receiver, motors, servos, and batteries. The transmitter sends signals to the receiver, which interprets and relays the commands to the motors and servos, allowing for precise control of the helicopter's movement.

What are the different types of radio controlled helicopters?

There are several types of radio controlled helicopters, including fixed-pitch, collective-pitch, and coaxial helicopters. Fixed-pitch helicopters have a fixed angle for their main rotor blades, while collective-pitch helicopters can adjust the angle of their blades for better control. Coaxial helicopters have two sets of rotors that spin in opposite directions, providing more stability and lift.

What materials are radio controlled helicopters made of?

Radio controlled helicopters are typically made of lightweight materials such as plastic, carbon fiber, and aluminum. The main body of the helicopter is usually made of plastic, while the rotor blades are made of carbon fiber for durability and flexibility. Aluminum is often used for the frame and other structural components.

What factors should be considered when choosing a radio controlled helicopter?

When choosing a radio controlled helicopter, factors such as size, skill level, and budget should be considered. Smaller helicopters are easier to control and more suitable for beginners, while larger helicopters may require more skill and experience. Additionally, consider the type of flying you want to do (indoor vs outdoor) and the features and capabilities of the helicopter. Budget is also an important factor, as more advanced models can be more expensive.