Radioactive Activity of a Gamma source

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the activity of a small source of gamma radiation based on the count recorded on a detector after 30 minutes. The issue of converting counts-per-minute to Becquerels is brought up and it is mentioned that the geometric effect of the detector and the counting time must be taken into account. It is also mentioned that the question is asking for the decay rate after 30 minutes, rather than the average count rate.
MWoot

Homework Statement

The issue I have is that I am asked to estimate the activity of a small source of gamma radiation; the question is written below:

'A small source of gamma radiation is placed at a distance of 160mm from a detector of area 18mm^2. The count recorded on the detector after 30 minutes was 15804. Estimate the activity of the source.

2. The attempt at a solution

As I understand it, activity in Becquerels is just the rate of decay of a given nucleus, i.e. 1Bq is one nucleus decay per second. I have calculated the 'counts-per-minute' of the source, simply as (15804/30)=526.8CPM, or 8.78 Counts per second. I have read in various places that the CPM can be converted into Becquerels 'if one applies a number of significant conversions that take into account the radiation background, the detector efficiency, the counting geometry, the sample size, and the self-absorption of the radiation by the sample.' The only relevant information to take into account in this example if the sample size/counting geometry, since the area of the detector and the distance of the source from the detector is given. The total volume of the area between the detector and the γ source is (160*18)=2880mm^3, or 2.88*10^-6m^3 as I understand it.

The answer given is 1.57*10^5 Bq.

Help would be massively appreciated, as I am completely stumped :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
One has to consider the geometric effect of the detector with respect to the source. Assuming that the gammas are emitted isotropically, the gamma flux at some distance would be uniform. The detector captures only a fraction of the total number of gammas at that distance.

One has to determine the solid angle of the spherical surface (defined by the distance between source and detector) that the detector area subtends.

Is the counting instantenous, e.g., a few seconds compared to 30 minutes, or is the counting occurring over 30 minutes.

One would not simply divide the number of counts per counting time. That would only give an average count rate, not a count rate as a function of time. One would have to integrate the decay curve between the time counting started and the time it stopped in order to determined the decay function. However, in this case, that approach does not apply.

The question appears to ask "what is the decay rate after 30 minutes?".

1. What is a gamma source?

A gamma source is a type of radioactive material that emits gamma rays. These rays are high-energy electromagnetic radiation that can penetrate through most materials and can be used for various purposes in scientific research and medical treatments.

2. How is the radioactive activity of a gamma source measured?

The radioactive activity of a gamma source is measured in units of becquerels (Bq) or curies (Ci). This measurement indicates the rate at which the source emits gamma radiation.

3. What factors affect the radioactive activity of a gamma source?

The radioactive activity of a gamma source can be affected by the type of radioactive material, the quantity of the material, and the half-life of the material. Other factors such as shielding and distance from the source can also impact the activity level.

4. Is exposure to a gamma source dangerous?

Exposure to a gamma source can be dangerous if precautions are not taken. Gamma rays have the ability to penetrate through the human body and can cause damage to cells and tissues. It is important to follow safety protocols and limit exposure to gamma sources.

5. How is a gamma source used in scientific research?

Gamma sources are commonly used in scientific research for various purposes, such as studying the structure of atoms and molecules, analyzing materials, and studying the effects of radiation on living organisms. They can also be used in medical treatments, such as radiation therapy for cancer.