Radioactive Decay: Alien Element Unstable Isotope

In summary, if you want to include entanglement in your story, you'll need to come up with a plausible way to make it happen.
Ogi
Hi guys, in my plot I have an unstable isotope of an alien element and I was wondering wouldn't it be nice if most of the particles generated from the decaying are entangled, how do you think, does it sound silly and totally impossible? If it is a good idea, then how such a property can be used by scientists? I was thinking about something like faster than light data transfer systems or something like that...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ogi said:
Hi guys, in my plot I have an unstable isotope of an alien element and I was wondering wouldn't it be nice if most of the particles generated from the decaying are entangled, how do you think, does it sound silly and totally impossible? If it is a good idea, then how such a property can be used by scientists? I was thinking about something like faster than light data transfer systems or something like that...
Entangled particles do not allow faster than light data transfers. That is a common misconception. You can say that it does if you like in a sci-fic story but do not make the mistake of thinking you are writing "hard science" when in fact you would be writing non-science.

Likes Ogi
Ok, let's forget about the FTL data transfer, I searched google, but I couldn't find how much of the particles emitted from the radioactive elements are actually entangled - 1%, 10%... 100%? And if 100% of the particles are pairs what benefits scientists could have from such a property?

Ogi said:

I've been told that just about every particle is entangled with every other. As you might think, this is such a mess that it is hard to imagine any use for it.

It is generally believed that entanglement is not useful for transmitting information. It's by nature a random pattern. So you're on your own with that.

Likes Ogi
Ogi said:
Ok, let's forget about the FTL data transfer, I searched google, but I couldn't find how much of the particles emitted from the radioactive elements are actually entangled - 1%, 10%... 100%? And if 100% of the particles are pairs what benefits scientists could have from such a property?
Well assuming the physics elsewhere in our universe is the same as it is locally, then there are no new elements and the radioactive particles are limited to alpha (for some nuclides heavier than bismuth, Z = 83), beta or gamma. The particles emitted then proceed through local matter, which becomes transiently ionized or excited, then the particles slow down and stop. Alpha particles become He, and beta particles simply settle into an atom. Gammas will scatter down to lower energy photons, or if at high enough energy (> ~ 1.02 MeV), could induce a nuclear reaction.

Of course, in science fiction, one can suspend reality and modify or rewrite the laws of physics, especially if the story takes place in a different universe.

Likes PartialMitch and Ogi

Related to Radioactive Decay: Alien Element Unstable Isotope

What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation, such as alpha particles, beta particles, or gamma rays. This process results in the formation of a more stable nucleus.

What is an unstable isotope?

An unstable isotope is an atom with an unstable nucleus that undergoes radioactive decay in order to become more stable. This process involves the release of energy in the form of radiation.

How is radioactive decay measured?

The rate of radioactive decay is measured using the half-life, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the radioactive material to decay into a more stable form.

What factors can affect radioactive decay?

The rate of radioactive decay can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the chemical environment. These factors can alter the stability of the atomic nucleus and therefore impact the rate of decay.

What is the significance of radioactive decay in relation to alien elements?

Radioactive decay is important in understanding the behavior of alien elements because it can provide insights into their stability and potential hazards. It can also be used to determine the age of alien materials and track their movement through space.