Radius and coord of center of a circle

In summary, the conversation involves solving a quadratic equation by completing the square method. The initial equation is divided by 9 to remove the coefficient in front of the square terms. The next step is to complete the square of x^2 - (2/3)x and y^2 + (4/3)y. The conversation ends with the suggestion to write (x^2 - (2/3)x + (1/9)) as (x - (1/3))^2 and do the same with the other term.
lucifer_x

Homework Statement

9x² + 9y² - 6x + 12y - 22 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i got this far but can't finish i don't know what to do:

3(3x² - 2x + 1) + 3(3y² + 4y + 4) = 40

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not divide first by 9 to remove the pesky 9 in front of the square terms. Then try completing the squares.

ok let me try, thanks

then its all fractions:

x² - 2/3x + y² + 4/3 = 22/9

Right. Now complete the square of x2 - 2/3x and y2 + 4/3.

i don't know what half of 2/3 is or 4/3 because if i know that then i can square them and that's it

i calculated :

(x² - 2/3x + 1/9) + (y² + 4/3 + 2/3) = 22/9

is this it

Last edited:
That should be 4/3y by the way and the 2/3 term should be squared. You're almost done. Now write (x2 - 2/3x + 1/9) as (x - ?)2 and do the same with the other term.

lucifer_x said:
i don't know what half of 2/3 is or 4/3 because if i know that then i can square them and that's it

It's quite simple really. half of 2/3 => [tex]\frac{2}{3}\div \frac{2}{1}=\frac{2}{3}x\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
now multiply both numerator and denominators together => [tex]\frac{2}{6}=\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

Similarly for 4/3. So half of 2/3 is 1/3 and half of 4/3 is 2/3. Sounds logical right?

1. What is the formula for finding the radius of a circle?

The formula for finding the radius of a circle is: r = d/2, where r is the radius and d is the diameter of the circle.

2. How do you calculate the coordinates of the center of a circle?

To calculate the coordinates of the center of a circle, you can use the formula (x,y), where x is the x-coordinate and y is the y-coordinate. The coordinates can be found by determining the midpoint of the circle's diameter.

3. Can the radius of a circle be negative?

No, the radius of a circle cannot be negative. It is a measurement of distance from the center of the circle to any point on the circle's circumference, and distance cannot be negative.

4. How does the radius of a circle affect its area and circumference?

The radius of a circle directly affects its area and circumference. The area of a circle is calculated using the formula A = πr², so as the radius increases, the area also increases. The circumference of a circle is calculated using the formula C = 2πr, so as the radius increases, the circumference also increases.

5. What is the relationship between the radius and diameter of a circle?

The radius and diameter of a circle are related by the formula d = 2r, where d is the diameter and r is the radius. This means that the diameter is always twice the length of the radius.