1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of Banked Curve

1. Oct 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A civil engineer is asked to design a curved
    section of roadway that meets the following
    conditions:
    With ice on the road, when the coefficient of
    static friction between the road and rubber is 0.12, a car at rest must not slide into the ditch
    and a car traveling less than 70 km/h must not skid to the outside of the curve.
    What is the minimum radius of curvature of the curve? Answer in units of m

2. Relevant equations
    ∑F=mv^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    FnsinΘ+ FfcosΘ= mv^2 /r
    Then I went to the y direction to find Fn and got
    Fn=(mg+FfsinΘ/cosΘ)
    When I tried to get Ff out of the equation, I ended up subbing it for (μFnsinΘ/cosΘ)
    But then I still have Fn in the equation!
    This is really confusing me and the homework is due tonight so please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You have two different car speeds you can use. This allows to solve for r and Θ, all other parameters are known or cancel out.

4. Oct 25, 2014 #3
    @mfb I did solve for theta and got the right answer, 6.842773413 however I'm not sure on how to find r. Is my formula correct? What is the next step I need to take, in order to get read of my Forces?

5. Oct 25, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

You know Fn (as function of m) and you can calculate Ff with your known angle. I guess this is the force from friction?
    Then r is the only unknown value in the equation.

If it is still unclear, please post all your calculations so I can see what went wrong.

6. Oct 25, 2014 #5
    This is my FBD if that clears anything up at all. Ff is my Friction force, yes. I don't know Fn independent of Ff because there are three forces in the y direction.

Attached Files:

• -8.jpg
      -8.jpg
      File size:
      19 KB
      Views:
  7. Oct 25, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

I would expect to see a body on a tilted plane in that picture, otherwise it is hard to understand.
    Friction is not independent of the normal force, they are linked via the coefficient of friction (that equation is in post 1).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted