Radius of Convergence for Series from Rudin

• Thread starter Poopsilon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding the radius of convergence for a series and the use of a suitable function to bound it for certain values of z. It is mentioned that the series is not a power series and that it seems to converge for values of z greater than 1. The speaker struggles with using the ratio or root test and considers bounding the series by 1/z^n. The conversation concludes with a discussion on breaking the problem into pieces and using convergence/divergence tests to determine the behavior of the series for different values of z in the range of (-inf, +inf).
Poopsilon
I can't seem to find the radius of convergence for this series, or even a suitable function that bounds it for certain values of z. The series is £ 1/(1+z^n) sorry for the pound sign I'm on an iPod touch. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like every z whose magnitude is greater than 1.

Poopsilon said:
I can't seem to find the radius of convergence for this series, or even a suitable function that bounds it for certain values of z. The series is £ 1/(1+z^n) sorry for the pound sign I'm on an iPod touch. Thanks.

I've always thought of 'radius of convergence' in terms of power series. This is not a power series.

EDIT: This answer is wrong see my below post. Upon inspection, it looks like it converges for values greater than 1 as you say (by looking at its limits for different values of z).

Last edited:
How would I go about proving that, I can't seem to get the ratio or root test to work. I could bound it by 1/z^n which does converge outside the circle of radius 1 but bounding it is only true when Re(z^n) >= -1/2, I think, and that seems to depend on z and n in a very complicated way.

Couldn't you just use the fact that [itex]|z^n + 1| = |z^n - (-1)| \geq |z^n| - 1 > 0[/itex]?
And then a simple application of the comparison test should work I think.

Poopsilon said:
How would I go about proving that, I can't seem to get the ratio or root test to work. I could bound it by 1/z^n which does converge outside the circle of radius 1 but bounding it is only true when Re(z^n) >= -1/2, I think, and that seems to depend on z and n in a very complicated way.

It seems complex but one can break it into pieces to simplify the problem.

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{1}{1+z^{n}}[/tex]

We are looking for the convergence of the series for differing values of z where possible values of z are from (-inf, +inf). Keep also in mind that n is always a positive integer (n > 0) and since we are interested in convergence, we are determining the behavior of this infinite series for very large values of n. For some arbitrarily large element n, is that element infinitesimally negligible as to converge?

Use intuition/reasoning to generalize a piece-wise solution for convergence. ie: for z between (-inf, -1), at z = 0, at z = 1, at z > 1 etc to find convergence of the series.

Basically, ask yourself this:
  1. At an arbitrary z value, z = number, does the series converge?
  2. Can I generalize this solution for z = someNumber to a range of numbers?
  3. Have I exhausted all possible z values?

From this, although tedious, you can cover all of your bases. These are where your convergence/divergence tests come in. One can use Direct Comparison Test (hint: z < -1 and z > 1) to come to a conclusion that it does converge for some z. The numbers in between (-1 < z < 1) you have to figure out if it converges. Note that these are boundary cases that must be explicitly treated as a 'smaller' problem.

Last edited:
carlodelmundo said:
We are looking for the convergence of the series for differing values of z where possible values of z are from (-inf, +inf).

Although I don't think the OP explicitly said this, z is complex. I just verified by checking the problem in Baby Rudin.

My apologies. Please take my responses with a grain of salt.

1. What is the Radius of Convergence for a Series?

The Radius of Convergence for a series is a mathematical concept that determines the interval of values for which a power series will converge. It is denoted by the letter R and is typically a positive real number or infinity.

2. How is the Radius of Convergence Calculated?

The Radius of Convergence is calculated using the ratio test, a method for determining the convergence or divergence of a series. The formula for the ratio test is:
R = limn→∞ |an+1/an| , where an is the nth term of the series.

3. What is the Significance of the Radius of Convergence?

The Radius of Convergence is important because it tells us the values for which a given power series will converge. It also helps us determine the interval of convergence, which is the set of all values for which the series is convergent. This information is useful in applications such as Taylor series, where having a convergent series is necessary for accurate approximations.

4. What Happens if the Radius of Convergence is Infinite?

If the Radius of Convergence is infinite, it means that the power series converges for all values of the variable. This is known as a "convergent power series" and is often used in mathematical and scientific applications to approximate functions.

5. How Does the Radius of Convergence Relate to the Convergence of a Series?

The Radius of Convergence is directly related to the convergence of a series. If the value of the series is within the interval of convergence, then the series will converge. If the value is outside the interval of convergence, then the series will diverge. Additionally, the Radius of Convergence can also tell us the type of convergence, such as absolute or conditional convergence, for a given series.