1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of convergence

1. Apr 8, 2007 #1
    1. The radius of convergence of the power series the sum n=1 to infinity of (3x+4)^n / n is

a 0
    b 1/3
    c 2/3
    d 3/4
    e 4/3

2. the sum n=1 to infinity of (3x+4)^n / n

3. no idea

do the ration test to get abs value 3x+4 < 1 ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2007 #2
    The ratio test is indeed the way to go. It's always a good place to start when the nth term of the series involves n! or a constant to the nth power.
  4. Apr 8, 2007 #3
    i know but what do i do to get from the ratio test to the radius of convergence?
  5. Apr 8, 2007 #4
    The ratio test says that [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n[/itex] is abs. convergent if

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{|a_{n+1}|}{|a_n|} < 1,[/tex]

and divergent if the limit is greater than 1 (assuming in both cases that the limit exists, of course).

So find out for what [itex]x[/itex] your series converges using that test.
  6. Apr 8, 2007 #5
    yes, so i have

lim n --> oo ((3x + 4)^(n+1)/ (n +1)) * (n/ (3x +4)^n)

which simplifies to lim (3x + 4) (n/ (n+1))

so is it abs value (3x+4) < 1 if it converges? but i dont think i have this right b/c none of the answer choices fit to make this statement true.

a) 0
    b) 1/3
    c) 2/3
    d) 3/4
    e) 4/3
  7. Apr 9, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You havent finished yet. You need x, not 3x+4. Saying that |3x+4|< 1 means -1< 3x+4< 1. Now what interval does x lie in? What is the length of that interval? Of course, the "radius" of convergence is half the length of the interval of convergence.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?