1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of convergence

1. Dec 9, 2007 #1
    Radius of convergence, interval of convergence

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the radius of convergence and the interval of convergence of the following series.

a) [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{(n^2)+1}[/tex]

c) [tex]\sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{x^n}{ln(n)}[/tex]

e) [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{n!x^n}{n^2}[/tex]

f) [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{n!2^nx^n}{n^n}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

I think I use the Ratio test:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = L < 1[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

a) Let [tex]{a_n} = \frac{x^n}{(n^2)+1}[/tex]
    So:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{x^(n+1)}{((n+1)^2)+1} * \frac{n^2+1}{x^n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{x*n^2+1}{n^2+2n+2} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} x[/tex]
    Radius: 1, Interval of convergence (-1, 1)

c) Let [tex]{a_n} = \frac{x^n}{ln(n)}[/tex]
    So:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{x^(n+1)}{ln(n+1)} * \frac{ln(n)}{x^n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{x*ln(n)}{ln(n+1)} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} x[/tex]

e) Let [tex]{a_n} = \frac{n!x^n}{n^2}[/tex]
    So:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{(n+1)!x^(n+1)}{(n+1)^2} * \frac{n^2}{n!x^n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{n^2x}{n+1} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} x[/tex]

f) Let [tex]{a_n} = \frac{n!2^nx^n}{n^n}[/tex]
    So:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{n+1!2^(n+1)x^(n+1)}{(n+1)^(n+1)} * \frac{n^n}{n!2^nx^n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} 2x * (\frac{n}{n+1})^n = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} 2x[/tex]
    Radius: 1/2, Interval of convergence (-0.5, 0.5)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2007 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

The radii for three of these seem alright; you may wish to check your ratio in part (e). A number of these series converge for at least one of the endpoints of their intervals of convergence.

4. Dec 9, 2007 #3
    I thought it seemed weird that three of the radii were 1, thanks for checking them over :)

May I inquire which part of (e) you think I might have stumbled? Is it from:
    [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{(n+1)!x^(n+1)}{(n+1)^2} * \frac{n^2}{n!x^n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{n^2x}{n+1}[/tex]

or

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{n^2x}{n+1} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} x[/tex]

Will check the endpoints in a bit, thanks again.

5. Dec 9, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just a note on LaTex: if you want exponents to show up you need to enclose them in curly brackets; i.e. x^{n+1}.

6. Dec 9, 2007 #5
    Oh thanks. I'm still working my way around with LaTeX.

7. Dec 9, 2007 #6

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

This is not an equation:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{n^2x}{n+1} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} x[/tex]

The left-hand side is correct. I believe you should find the radius of convergence for this series to be R = 0. (In fact, the original general term for this series should make one suspicious...)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?