RAM Memory Viewer Reader Chip?

• Thread starter YoshiMoshi
  • Start date
In summary: You are trying to create a circuit that will "watch" the data as it's being written onto the default RAM chip that came on the console.
YoshiMoshi
TL;DR Summary
A chip that will output it's memory, please help
I'm working on a project for fun. I have a parallel external work RAM chip on a old console, whose datasheet is online.

I'm thinking of disassembling the console and making my own circuit with the parts. I was hoping to create a circuit that can "watch" the data as it's being written onto the default RAM chip that came on the console. Essentially something like this.

1690594058160.png

Where the chip (?) I'm looking for would be connected to the same RAM data bus, that would output the memory map live onto a personal computer.

So essentially when the CPU writes data to a specific address on the EWRAM chip I can see the address get updated on my personal computer as well and can watch it happen live.

I could go the long road of trying to design something on my own with a microcontroller, but am wondering if a commercial product like this exists as an IC

Please and thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you are describing a logic analyzer. You can buy them. For an older system, I'd guess a cheap eBay version would work well enough. Then maybe you can use it again on your next project. Often the hard part is making all of the connections.

I'm not sure you'll get the "memory map" just by looking at the data on the buss, you might not know what it means without knowing the source code. Or maybe my idea of a memory map is different than yours.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I have no idea what an "external work RAM chip" is. Do you mean a flash drive (external storage)?

Finally, if you want useful advice, tell us more. What sort of system, what kind of bus (serial parallel, etc.), what data rates (clock speed), etc. This is all way to vague at this point; EEs nearly always work with detailed information since there are so many possibilities out there.

Likes DeBangis21, berkeman and Rive
Some game console, I guess?

There are several issues with the project.

- The trivial solution (as @DaveE mentioned - a logic analyzer) is either cheap and has limited capabilities (due USB connection) or they are ... well, just not in reach usually.
- The non-trivial solution means quite decent knowledge on PCs and their interfaces, both HW ans SW level
- Due the compact design you'll need to manufacture special cables to properly access te device without interfering its workings
- the analyzer will produce immense amount of data and you'll need some really good visualization strategy and programming skill to have anything nice coming out of it...

I would rather pick an old Commodore thing. More information, more access and it's slower = far more doable.

Yes a GBA

It's a parallel ram chip. It's referred to as external work RAM in literature I see, most likely to differentiate it from the internal RAM ok the CPU.

I know about logic analyzers, just wondering if there was something that would take the data from it and put it in a memory map, showing the address locations and the data currently on it.

One pin tells it to read or write. There are parallel address lines, and parallel data lines.

Essentially something that will see when data is written to it, what address is be called, and war data is written at that specific location. I know a logic analyzer will produce lots of data, just wondering if there's a specific application for a PC or a piece of hardware that will take that data and put it into a nice list, essentially allowing visualization of what data is at what address, live.

I know I can use a logic analyzer, visually see the write pin go high, see what address lines are being called, and what data is being sent on the data lines, just wondering if there's something that would produce a nice list as a memory map for me to visualize this data.

Any ideas?

Use a logic analyser to track the memory data transfers.
Read that data into a PC.

Use an integer array in the PC to build a memory image.
First, mark all array elements as being invalid data.

Analyse each data transfer for address and data.
Extract the bus address and data for each read or write transfer.
Write that data into that address in the image array. Mark valid.
Repeat until all transfers done, many will be over-writes.

Hexdump the memory image array.
Valid entries show the latest data values in the RAM.

You might also count the reads and the writes to each location, in another array. That would also indicate valid data.

Hey thanks. Any commercial product that already does this all for me?

YoshiMoshi said:
Any commercial product that already does this all for me?
No.
You buy the logic analyser and connect to the target CPU bus.
You plug the logic analyser into your PC USB port.
You look at the data transfer files on your PC, then decide to program your PC to show the result in a more readable form.

What is the CPU that you will monitor?
What is the RAM chip you want to watch?

Maybe; 16 address + 8 data + 3 control = 27 bits, or channels.
Look for a 32 channel logic analyser, with USB interface, on eBay.
Maybe a Hantek 4032L will do the job.
Expect to pay a few hundred US$.

Likes DaveE
Baluncore said:
No.
You buy the logic analyser and connect to the target CPU bus.
You plug the logic analyser into your PC USB port.
You look at the data transfer files on your PC, then decide to program your PC to show the result in a more readable form.

What is the CPU that you will monitor?
What is the RAM chip you want to watch?

Maybe; 16 address + 8 data + 3 control = 27 bits, or channels.
Look for a 32 channel logic analyser, with USB interface, on eBay.
Maybe a Hantek 4032L will do the job.
Expect to pay a few hundred US$.
@YoshiMoshi the above is what engineers do. There is not an endless supply of ready made solutions to what is needed in engineering. Circuits are built, code is written, etc., just as tools used to troubleshoot or develop other circuits and/or products.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a RAM Memory Viewer Reader Chip?

A RAM Memory Viewer Reader Chip is a small electronic device that is used to view and read the contents of a computer's Random Access Memory (RAM). It can display the data stored in the RAM in a readable format, allowing scientists and technicians to analyze and troubleshoot any issues with the memory.

2. How does a RAM Memory Viewer Reader Chip work?

A RAM Memory Viewer Reader Chip works by connecting to the computer's RAM through a specialized port or slot. It then reads the data stored in the memory and displays it on a screen or through a software interface. Some chips also have the ability to write data to the RAM, allowing for testing and troubleshooting purposes.

3. What are the benefits of using a RAM Memory Viewer Reader Chip?

Using a RAM Memory Viewer Reader Chip can provide several benefits. It allows for easy and quick access to the data stored in the RAM, which can be helpful for troubleshooting and diagnosing issues. It also provides a non-invasive way to view the contents of the memory without affecting its operation.

4. Can a RAM Memory Viewer Reader Chip be used on any computer?

No, a RAM Memory Viewer Reader Chip is designed to be compatible with specific types of RAM and computer systems. It is important to check the specifications of the chip to ensure it is compatible with the computer before use.

5. Is it safe to use a RAM Memory Viewer Reader Chip on a computer?

Yes, it is generally safe to use a RAM Memory Viewer Reader Chip on a computer. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use caution when handling the chip to avoid any damage to the computer or the chip itself. It is also recommended to have a backup of important data before using the chip, as it can potentially alter or delete data in the RAM.