Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Random Thoughts Part 5

1. Jan 12, 2016 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2016 #2

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Halfway through "The Martian".
    Holy Moses, this is a fun book.

ps. I had a dream about Borek today. I ran into him in a pet fish shop. He didn't recognize me. But I recognized him, and told him that I knew he had just written a book. He did not seem to care, and left without buying any fish. I purchased 6.

4. Jan 13, 2016 #3
    My grandparents once explained me something about dreams like this that somebody not you was using your body in your dream; we shared our bodies with the unknown. They are old and superstitious though. :-p
    By the way, I tend to "try" to continue dreaming a little even though I am almost awake because I would want to see the end in every dreamy sleep. So if I were you I would continue to watch which fish would die next and seek a chance if any that Borek would come back to say Hello.

5. Jan 13, 2016 #4

Borek

Running into Borek in a pet fish shop - your aquarium will have new occupants (from The Egyptian Dream Book).

6. Jan 13, 2016 #5
    That's probably why I think I will love Omcheeto more than I do now. Don't wake up, Omcheeto! I'm coming in, so dream on !

7. Jan 13, 2016 #6

mfb

2016 Award

1.2*1012/(300*106) = 4000, not 4 millions. This larger billion would be the US GPD of a month. Which makes sense, if you divide it by the population you get something of the order of a monthly income.

That larger billion not typically German by the way, it is widely used in Europe and some other regions. Long and short scales
    Wikipedia has a map. Red=Short scale (1000 millions are a billion), Blue=Long scale (1 million millions are a billion)

8. Jan 13, 2016 #7

fresh_42

That's true. I commented it elsewhere before and said 4,300 each would be fine. That's been probably still on my mind. What I do not understand on the map you linked is, that Germany is blue whereas the words 'Milliarde' etc. are used so shouldn't it be 'con millardo'? If so, then the map isn't really reliable. But in general it gives a good overview.

9. Jan 13, 2016 #8
    If anyone goes to Oxford, they will realise how comfortable their uniforms are.

10. Jan 13, 2016 #9
    https://www.quantamagazine.org/20160112-string-theory-meets-loop-quantum-gravity/

I like how Rovelli says "The string planet is infinitely less arrogant than ten years ago [...]" while being equally arrogant.
    Other than that, I like how the current generation of young physicists is open minded enough to consider "competing" theories.

In unrelated news I might have perfected my Kung pao sauce and have to write down my recipe now. The last thing I'd like to try is using balsamic vinegar instead of rice wine vinegar.

11. Jan 13, 2016 #10

mfb

2016 Award

"Escala corta (con millardo)" is the short scale with an additional word for 109 (but not for 1015 for example). Some weird mixture of long and short scale.

Germany, as most other European countries, has the full long scale:
    3 - Tausend
    6 - Million
    9 - Milliarde
    12 - Billion
    15 - Billiarde
    18 - Trillion
    21 - Trilliarde

The long scale is more logical, by the way. There is nothing "two-like" in a English Billion for 109. Using the word for (106)2, trillion for (106)3 and so on follows a pattern.

12. Jan 13, 2016 #11
    To all of you Americans; I've heard that higher education in the US is around secondary-level in the UK. Is that true?

13. Jan 13, 2016 #12

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't believe everything you hear.

There are many Americans, even on this site, that would be more than willing to offer you a hand in pursuit of further education.

14. Jan 13, 2016 #13

Evo

We have High School through grade 12, that's 13 years, kindergarten and grades 1-12, then after high school around ages 18-19, you can opt to go to University/college, we consider them the same thing basically, where in England I believe that you call the last 2 years of high school "college".

15. Jan 13, 2016 #14
    I see that I wasn't clear enough in my post. What I'm trying to ask is if what people in the US learn in college is what we learn in high school. As I said in my previous post, I was simply told that education in the US is, for lack of better words, "dumbed down" compared to ours.

16. Jan 13, 2016 #15

Evo

No, I would have to disagree with that, some high School courses are university level, we have AP (Advanced Placement) which replaces first year college/University courses and honors classes. I have friends in the UK, and American High schools are definitely not "dumbed down", of course there are courses for children with learning disabilities. From talking to some of my friends in the UK, it sounds like they might have trouble with our higher level high school courses.

Of course you will hear different opinions, school curriculums vary widely, there are good schools, great schools, average schools, bad schools, same with teachers.

17. Jan 13, 2016 #16
    Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

18. Jan 13, 2016 #17

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Speaking from personal experience, knowing many people born and raised in the UK, and also many people born and raised in the United States, no, I don't believe what you were told is accurate.

19. Jan 13, 2016 #18

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ouch!

I'm trying to compose a tune for a fish program*. But I haven't picked up the guitar in so long my callouses are gone. I guess I just have to suck it up and play through the pain.

I think I might title the tune, "Sleeps with the fishes**," but I haven't decided yet.

*(More on the fish program later).

**(Might as well get in on this thing going on with @Silicon Waffle, @OmCheeto, and @Borek).

20. Jan 13, 2016 #19

Astronuc

In some cases, yes. The secondary education process in rather non-uniform, even among secondary education (grades 7-12) in the same metropolitan school district.

The top 5% of US high school students probably get as good an education as the best high schools or secondary education in the EU. About 40 years ago, I was in a secondary education program, which sent graduates to Caltech, MIT, Harvard, Princeton, . . . . However, there were other schools in the same district that did not have the same quality of education. From my own personal experience in local communities where I have lived, not much has changed in 40 years.

21. Jan 13, 2016 #20

Astronuc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook