Handling Random Uncertainties: Best Practices for Niles

In summary, the Gaussian distribution is a good approximation for random quantities that have many sources of uncertainty.
Niles
Hi

In http://sl-proj-bi-specification.web.cern.ch/sl-proj-bi-specification/Activities/Glossary/techglos.pdf it says that: ... if the sources of uncertainties are numerous, the Gaussian distribution is generally a good approximation.

I don't quite understand why. The Central Limit Theorem (CLT) only says that if we have a sum S of N random variables, then S will be Gaussian for very large N. So the CLT does not explain the above. In that case, where does the statement come from?Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general interpretation is that the effects of those uncertainties are additive - that's where the CLT comes in.

But that would only explain why the errors are Gaussian, not why the measured variable is Gaussian.

If the problem is a location problem, the "model" can be described as

Variable = Mean value + Random error

with "Mean value" a constant. Since the random error is Gaussian, so is the variable.

statdad said:
If the problem is a location problem, the "model" can be described as ...

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "location problem". In my case we are talking about measured speeds.

A "location problem" simply means you are trying to determine the mean value of a variable. A mean is one type of measure of location, or measure of center.

I don't know exactly what type of problem you're involved in: my posts above were

1) to show how the Gaussian distribution arises from the "many sources of uncertainty"
2) to show one way in which a measured random quantity can be assumed to have a gaussian distribution

Ok, I understand. In post #2 and #4 you use "error" and "uncertainty" interchangeably. Does

Variable = Mean value + Uncertainty

also hold for a location problem?Niles.

I guess - the main idea is that the variable is a constant value + some unmeasurable random behavior, which is often modeled by a normal (Gaussian) distribution.

An approach slightly more general than the location model is given by

Variable = Model + Error

where ``Model'' is some deterministic (non-random) expression. Consider multiple regression:

[tex]
Y = \underbrace{\beta_0 + \beta_1 x_1 + \dots + \beta_p x_p}_{\text{Model}} + \varepsilon
[/tex]

with [itex] \varepsilon [/itex] is the random error component

Last edited:
Thanks, it was very kind of you.

Best wishes,
Niles.

Related to Handling Random Uncertainties: Best Practices for Niles

1. What are random uncertainties and why do they need to be handled?

Random uncertainties are variations or fluctuations in data that occur due to chance or random processes. They need to be handled because they can affect the accuracy and reliability of scientific findings and conclusions.

2. How can random uncertainties be measured?

Random uncertainties can be measured by conducting repeated experiments or measurements and calculating the standard deviation of the data. This provides an estimate of the amount of variation in the data due to random uncertainties.

3. What are the best practices for handling random uncertainties?

The best practices for handling random uncertainties include conducting multiple trials or measurements, using appropriate statistical analysis techniques, and documenting the sources and magnitude of uncertainties in the data.

4. How can we reduce the impact of random uncertainties on scientific results?

One way to reduce the impact of random uncertainties is to increase the sample size or number of measurements. This can help to reduce the effects of chance variations and provide a more accurate representation of the data.

5. Are there any tools or software available for handling random uncertainties?

Yes, there are various tools and software available for handling random uncertainties, such as statistical analysis software, uncertainty analysis software, and simulation tools. It is important to select the appropriate tool based on the specific needs of the research or experiment.