Range of a Composite Function

In summary, the functions p and q are defined as p(x) = 3x^2+1 and q(x) = x^2-2, with domains of 0≤x≤2 and x∈R, respectively. The composite function (q∘p) has a range of -1 ≤ y ≤ 167 according to the conversation, but the book states the range as 0 ≤ y ≤ 167. The notation for q in the book is q : x → x^2-2, x∈R. The vertical lines represent absolute value.
Peter G.
Function p and q are defined by:

p (x) = 3x2+1, x∈R, Domain 0≤x≤2
q (x) = x2 - 2, x∈R

(q∘p) - State the range:

I got -1 ≤ y ≤ 167

The book says 0 ≤ y ≤ 167

Any idea where I went wrong?

The composite function I got so then I could sub was:
9x4 + 6x2 - 1

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks good to me.

Are you sure q(x) is not |x2 - 2| ?

The notation exactly how it is in the book is the following:
q : x → x2-2, x∈R

Looks fine. |x2 - 2| was the simplest way I could see to get the book answer, so you appear to be correct: Range = [-1, 167] .

Cool :smile:

Thanks a lot SammyS

And, if you don't mind, what are those two vertical lines?

Absolute value .

1. What is the range of a composite function?

The range of a composite function is the set of all possible output values that can be obtained by feeding input values into the function. It is the collection of all values that the function can produce.

2. How is the range of a composite function determined?

The range of a composite function can be determined by evaluating the function for different input values and observing the corresponding output values. Another way is to use algebraic techniques to transform the function into a form that clearly shows the range.

3. Can a composite function have an empty range?

Yes, it is possible for a composite function to have an empty range. This means that there are no output values that the function can produce for any input value. It can happen when the function is undefined or when the range is restricted by the input values.

4. Is the range of a composite function always a subset of the range of its individual functions?

No, the range of a composite function may not always be a subset of the range of its individual functions. This is because the composite function may introduce new output values that are not present in the individual functions, or it may exclude certain output values from the individual functions.

5. How can the range of a composite function be used in real-world applications?

The range of a composite function can be used in real-world applications to determine the set of possible outcomes or solutions for a given input. For example, in economics, the demand curve can be represented as a composite function, and the range can be used to determine the range of prices that will result in a certain level of demand.