1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Range of movement of a lens?

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a 35 mm single lens reflex camera (SLR) the distance from the lens to the film is varied in order to focus on objects at varying distances. Over what range must a lens of 45 mm focal length vary if the camera is to be able to focus on objects ranging in distance from infinity down to 1.4 m from the camera?

2. Relevant equations

1/f = 1/p +1/q

3. The attempt at a solution

First, the thin-lens formula is applied for the case of focusing on objects at a distance of infinity:

1/45 = 1/∞ + 1/q
    q = 45 mm

Then, the same formula is applied for the case of focusing on objects at a distance of 1.4 mm:

1/45 = 1/1400 + 1/q
    q = 46.49 mm

Therefore, the range of movement is 46.49 - 45 = 1.49 mm.

I actually had help from a tutor with solving this problem. I understand the problem itself, but what I don't understand is how q = 45 was derived from the equation 1/45 = 1/∞ + 1/q since the equation contains ∞ as a variable.

Generally speaking, how do you solve equations with infinity (∞) as one of the variables? I am really stumped...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

1/∞ is a very tiny number, called zero. :smile:

So 1/p = 1/q, giving p=q

4. Apr 25, 2012 #3
    OH... so 1/infinity basically just cancels out, then? Duh... thanks!

5. Apr 26, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I wouldn't use the phrase "cancels out". mVVtk.gif  Perhaps "fades away", "disappears", or "vanishes", would be appropriate though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook