Calculating the Rate of Acceleration of a 45 Degree Incline

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of apparent weight and how it is affected by acceleration and incline. The individuals involved discuss various scenarios, such as traveling at a constant speed vertically or horizontally and traveling up an incline at a constant speed, and how those scenarios impact the feeling of gravity or g-force. They also mention using Newton's second law to calculate the net force and apparent weight in different situations. The conversation ends with one person thanking the other for their help and realizing they need to change their approach to the problem.
IMK
Hello,

Sorry to bother you all with this simply question but I could not think of a better place to ask.

If a body/particle is traveling along an incline of 45 degrees from the horizontal at a constant speed, it is as I understand it accelerating away from the centre of the earth.
So how do I calculate the rate of acceleration please?
Many thanks IMK

Physics news on Phys.org
If the particle is maintaining a constant direction and speed, why would you think it's accelerating?

... and if it is going "down" the incline, why would you think it is moving "away" from the center of the Earth?

Hello Doc Al, berkeman and many thanks for your reply

Now as I understand it, and I am asking if I am correct?

If I am traveling vertically away from Earth and a constant speed, my sense of gravity would be 1g plus the ng effect of the speed I am traveling at. Likewise if I was traveling towards Earth vertically at constant speed, my sense of gravity would be 1g less the ng effect of the speed I am traveling at. (This assume I am only a short distance from Earth and hence the affect of gravity is constant).

So what I am asking is: I f I am traveling at an angle how do I calculate the effective g, is it the Sin?

So let me explain the problem then maybe someone can tell me how to solve it, or in fact is there a problem to be solved?

If I am in a car traveling horizontally and accelerating at a rate of 1g what is the g I am subjected to?
__
Is it 2g or / 2 = 1.414

Two, if I am traveling in a car up an incline of 45 degrees at a constant 30mph what is the g, and how do I calculate it please…

Many thanks IMK
PS This is not a home work question but a problem I am trying to figure out with very rusty physics.

IMK said:
If I am traveling vertically away from Earth and a constant speed, my sense of gravity would be 1g plus the ng effect of the speed I am traveling at. Likewise if I was traveling towards Earth vertically at constant speed, my sense of gravity would be 1g less the ng effect of the speed I am traveling at. (This assume I am only a short distance from Earth and hence the affect of gravity is constant).
If you are moving at constant velocity the net force on you is zero. That means something is exactly supporting your weight and that your apparent weight just equals your actual weight (mg). Your speed or direction does not affect your weight.

So what I am asking is: I f I am traveling at an angle how do I calculate the effective g, is it the Sin?

So let me explain the problem then maybe someone can tell me how to solve it, or in fact is there a problem to be solved?

If I am in a car traveling horizontally and accelerating at a rate of 1g what is the g I am subjected to?
__
Is it 2g or / 2 = 1.414
The fact that you are accelerating makes all the difference! The supporting force of the car must do two things: (1) support your weight with an upward vertical force equal to mg, and (2) push you forward with a force equal to mg to accelerate you. The total force of the car on you (and thus your apparent weight) is [itex]\sqrt{2} mg[/itex], thus you are subjected to [itex]\sqrt{2}g[/itex].

Two, if I am traveling in a car up an incline of 45 degrees at a constant 30mph what is the g, and how do I calculate it please…
You got rid of the acceleration! So your apparent weight is back to normal = 1 g.

Doc AL, many thanks for your reply
Sorry to bother again, but are you sure that if I am traveling vertically at a constant speed then I will only feel 1g.
Again many thanks IMK

IMK said:
Sorry to bother again, but are you sure that if I am traveling vertically at a constant speed then I will only feel 1g.
Of course. But don't take my word for it, figure it out! What one feels is the force of whatever is supporting you--that's your apparent weight and what gives you the feeling of gs. Per Newton's 2nd law, the net force on a body equals "ma". Thus, if something is not accelerating, the net force on it is zero.

The typical illustration of apparent weight is what you feel when on an elevator. If the elevator is moving at a constant speed, the net force is zero. So the upward force you feel against your feet must exactly equal the force of gravity. The fact that you are moving up or down doesn't matter. If the elevator were moving at some angle rather than straight up, it still wouldn't matter.

But if the elevator is accelerating upwards, there must be a net upward force. If we represent the force of the elevator pushing against your feet as "N" (for normal force), then:
The net force on you = +N - mg
Newton tells us: +N - mg = ma
Thus: N = ma + mg = m(g + a)
Which means you feel a "g-force" of "g + a".

Doc Al,Many thanks and well I have to change the way of thinking about what I am trying to do..
Again many thanks for your help IMK

1. What is the formula for calculating the rate of acceleration on a 45 degree incline?

The formula for calculating the rate of acceleration on a 45 degree incline is a = g*sin(45), where a is the acceleration and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. How is the rate of acceleration affected by the angle of the incline?

The rate of acceleration is affected by the angle of the incline because the steeper the incline, the more force is acting on the object and therefore the greater the acceleration. On a 45 degree incline, the acceleration is equal to half of the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What units are used to measure the rate of acceleration?

The rate of acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) or feet per second squared (ft/s^2).

4. Can the rate of acceleration on a 45 degree incline be negative?

Yes, the rate of acceleration on a 45 degree incline can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the incline. This means that the object is decelerating or slowing down.

5. How does the mass of the object affect the rate of acceleration on a 45 degree incline?

The mass of the object does not affect the rate of acceleration on a 45 degree incline. The rate of acceleration is solely determined by the angle of the incline and the acceleration due to gravity.