Rate of change at every point in a linear function?

In summary, differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change in a function. If you have a function, y=f(x), and you want to find the rate of change at a particular x, you would use dx/dy. If you have a function, x=f(y), and you want to find the rate of change at a particular y, you would use dy/dx.
yyttr2
Is differentiation just finding the rate of change in a function?

[tex]\frac{dx}{dy}[/tex] (y=6x) =6?

rate of change in [tex]\frac{2}{y}=\frac{2}{x}[/tex]the same as :[tex]\frac{dx/dy}{dy/dx}*y=\frac{5y}{2}[/tex] if and only if y=2/5 ? which equals 1 lol

I think I am right :x but non- of the Wikipedia articles help because of there complexity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Differentiation is with respect to some function, dy/dx is just a notation used to denote the derivative, in the case of dy/dx it denotes the derivative of the function y=f(x) (y as a function of x). dx/dy should denote the derivative of the function x=f(y), x as a function of y, in the first case x = y/6 => dx/dy = 1/6.

If 2/y = 2/x , you can solve for the variable of interest, i.e. y=x, but this definition only holds for x not equal to 0 in which case 2/y = 2/x does not tell us how y depends on x because 2/x is undefined.

considering I have no clue what you just said:

"The derivative of a function represents an infinitesimal change in the function with respect to one of its variables. "

Does this mean what I said before?

The derivative of a function is its instantaneous rate of change rather than its average rate of change. For x from 0 to 4, [itex]x^3[/itex] changes from 0 to 64 so has an average rate of change of 64/4= 8. For x from 1 to 3, [itex]x^3[/itex] changes from 1 to 27 and so has an average rate of change of (27- 1)/(3- 1)= 26/2= 13. From 1.5 to 2.5, [itex]x^3[/itex] changes from 3.375 to 15.625 and so has an average rate of change of (15.625- 3.375)/(2.5-1.5)= 12.25/1= 12.25.

According to calculus, the derivative of [itex]x^3[/itex] is [itex]3x^2[/itex] and, at x= 2, that is 3(4)= 12. That is rate of change at x= 2.

By the way, what you had initially,
[tex]\frac{dx}{dy}[/tex](y= 6)= 6.
makes no sense. I think you mean to ask about the derivative of the function 6x but that is not what you wrote. First, "y= 6x" is an equation, not a function. Second, the derivative of a function, say, f(x), is written as "df(x)/dx", NOT "dy/dx(f(x)". Oh, and you had "y" and "x" reversed. You wanted "d(6x)/dx" or "dy/dx" with y= 6x.

And, yes, a linear function has the property that its rate of change is the same at every point so "average rate of change" and "instanteous rate of change", that is the "rate of change at a particular x" is that same constant- the slope of the line graph.

What is the rate of change in a function?

The rate of change in a function is a measure of how much the output of the function changes in relation to the change in the input. It is also known as the slope or gradient of the function and is represented by the symbol "m".

How do you calculate the rate of change in a function?

The rate of change in a function can be calculated by finding the difference in the output values divided by the difference in the input values. This is also known as the "rise over run" method or the slope formula, which is (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1).

Why is the rate of change important in a function?

The rate of change is important because it provides information about how the output of a function changes with respect to the input. It can help determine the direction, steepness, and behavior of the function, and is useful in many fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

How does the rate of change relate to the graph of a function?

The rate of change is represented by the slope of a line on a graph. A steeper slope indicates a larger rate of change, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller rate of change. The shape of a function's graph can also provide information about the rate of change at different points.

How can the rate of change be used to predict future values of a function?

By analyzing the rate of change in a function, we can make predictions about how the output will change as the input value increases or decreases. This can be useful in forecasting trends and making decisions in various fields such as business and finance.