How Is Thermal Energy Calculated in an Inductor?

In summary, the inductor in a DC power supply has an inductance of 13H, resistance of 160 ohms, and carries a current of 0.4A. The stored energy in its magnetic field is calculated to be 1.04 J. The thermal energy developed in the inductor is not directly related to the stored magnetic energy and can be thought of as "Ohmic losses".
cmalle09
An inductor used in a DC power supply has an inductance of 13H and a resistance of 160 ohms. It carries a current of 0.4 A. What is the stored energy in the magnetic field? At what rate is thermal energy developed in the inductor?

L=13H
R=160 ohms
I=0.4A

W = 1/2Li^2 = 1/2(13)(0.4)^2 = 1.04 J

I am unsure where to go from here. I can calculate the stored energy, but what do I do for the rate of thermal energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer for the stored magnetic energy looks correct. Now, the thermal energy dissipated actually has very little to do with the stored magnetic energy in this DC question. Think of the thermal losses as "Ohmic losses". Does that hint help?

Do I need to know the time interval or the specific heat capacity of the inductor material? Please provide more information so I can accurately answer your question.

What is the definition of Rate of Thermal Energy?

The rate of thermal energy is a measure of how quickly thermal energy is transferred from one object to another. It is the amount of thermal energy transferred per unit time.

What are the units of measurement for Rate of Thermal Energy?

The SI unit for rate of thermal energy is watts (W), which represents one joule per second. Other commonly used units include kilowatts (kW) and BTUs per hour (BTU/h).

How is Rate of Thermal Energy calculated?

The rate of thermal energy is calculated by dividing the amount of thermal energy transferred by the time it takes for the transfer to occur. This can be represented by the equation Q/t = P, where Q is the amount of thermal energy transferred, t is the time, and P is the rate of thermal energy.

What factors affect the Rate of Thermal Energy?

The rate of thermal energy can be affected by a variety of factors, including the temperature difference between the two objects, the thermal conductivity of the materials, the surface area of contact, and any insulating materials present. In general, a larger temperature difference and higher thermal conductivity will result in a higher rate of thermal energy transfer.

What are some real-world applications of Rate of Thermal Energy?

The rate of thermal energy is an important concept in many fields of science and engineering. It is used in the design of heating and cooling systems, the study of climate and weather patterns, and the development of materials and insulation to improve energy efficiency. It is also relevant in fields such as thermodynamics, heat transfer, and thermoelectricity.