Finding Rate of Change for Water Level in a Trough

• Thread starter answerseeker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the problem is asking for the rate at which the water level rises when the trough is filled with water at a rate of 12ft^3/min and the water depth is 6 inches. To solve this, we need to use the formula V= 0.5*b*h*L, where b and h are the base and height of the isosceles triangle ends of the trough. This is because the trough has a triangular cross section, not a rectangular one.
answerseeker
A trough is 10 ft long and its ends have the shape of isosceles triangles that are 3ft across at the top and have a height of 1ft. if the trough is filled with water at a rate of 12ft^3/min, how fast does teh water level rise when the water is 6inches deep?

so far i have: dv/dt= 12ft^3/min and need to find dh/dt.
V= base* height*length ? where length=10 ft.
what i don't understand is how come in my notes, the next step is that b becomes 0.5*b*h??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no way to help you with what is written in your notes. But...

The expression:

V= b*h*L

Gives the volume of a solid with a rectangular cross section. You have a solid with a triangular cross section so the the expression

V = .5*b*h*L

Would be correct.

can you complete the problem from there?

answerseeker said:
A trough is 10 ft long and its ends have the shape of isosceles triangles that are 3ft across at the top and have a height of 1ft. if the trough is filled with water at a rate of 12ft^3/min, how fast does teh water level rise when the water is 6inches deep?

so far i have: dv/dt= 12ft^3/min and need to find dh/dt.
V= base* height*length ? where length=10 ft.
what i don't understand is how come in my notes, the next step is that b becomes 0.5*b*h??

V= base*height*length for a RECTANGULAR trough. This is TRIANGULAR. The area of a triangle is 0.5*b*h.

I think I get it now. since it's a triangular prism, you take the area of the triangle and multiply it by the base of the rectangle. I think that's correct now.

1. What is the purpose of finding the rate of change for water level in a trough?

The purpose of finding the rate of change for water level in a trough is to understand how quickly the water level is changing over time. This information can be useful in predicting future water levels and identifying any potential issues with the trough or water supply.

2. How is the rate of change for water level in a trough calculated?

The rate of change for water level in a trough is calculated by dividing the change in water level by the change in time. This can be expressed as the change in water level (in inches, for example) per unit of time (in hours, for example).

3. What factors can affect the rate of change for water level in a trough?

Several factors can affect the rate of change for water level in a trough, including the amount of water flowing into or out of the trough, changes in temperature, and any leaks or blockages in the trough.

4. How can the rate of change for water level in a trough be monitored?

The rate of change for water level in a trough can be monitored by regularly measuring and recording the water level over a period of time. This data can then be used to calculate the rate of change and identify any patterns or abnormalities.

5. Why is it important to track the rate of change for water level in a trough?

Tracking the rate of change for water level in a trough is important for several reasons. It can help identify any potential issues with the trough or water supply, inform decision making for water usage, and assist in managing and conserving water resources.