1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rates of change

1. Mar 26, 2006 #1
    A trough is 10 ft long and its ends have the shape of isosceles triangles that are 3ft across at the top and have a height of 1ft. if the trough is filled with water at a rate of 12ft^3/min, how fast does teh water level rise when the water is 6inches deep?

so far i have: dv/dt= 12ft^3/min and need to find dh/dt.
    V= base* height*length ? where length=10 ft.
    what i don't understand is how come in my notes, the next step is that b becomes 0.5*b*h??

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2006 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no way to help you with what is written in your notes. But...

The expression:

V= b*h*L

Gives the volume of a solid with a rectangular cross section. You have a solid with a triangular cross section so the the expression

V = .5*b*h*L

Would be correct.

can you complete the problem from there?

4. Mar 27, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

V= base*height*length for a RECTANGULAR trough. This is TRIANGULAR. The area of a triangle is 0.5*b*h.

5. Apr 2, 2006 #4
    I think I get it now. since it's a triangular prism, you take the area of the triangle and multiply it by the base of the rectangle. I think that's correct now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?