Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rates of reaction experiment SPA

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    Hi today I took my O levels spa and the reaction was acidified KI+hydrogen peroxide. Once we see a slight colouration, we stopped timing the stopwatch. We were told to draw a tabulation box with the information in the experiment. Also we were told to clearly show the total volume of the solution before the additional if the second reactant (we diluted one of the reactants). However, I didn't put a heading as "volume of distilled water". Is that very important to write that down? I had only put volume of H2O2/cm3, volume of solution before KI was added/cm3, volume of KI/cm3 and time taken for blue colouration to appear/s. Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You need to know total volume to be able to calculate concentrations.

4. May 17, 2012 #3
    Hi Borek I did give the total volume of distilled water+reactants so that good enough?

5. May 18, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

If I understand you correctly, it doesn't matter - recording volume of water added for dilution and final volume is equivalent (assuming you correctly recorded volumes of all reagents).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook