Rates of reaction experiment SPA

In summary, during the O levels SPA experiment, the students were instructed to mix acidified KI with hydrogen peroxide and record the time it takes for the solution to change color. They were also asked to create a table with the experimental information, including the total volume of the solution before adding the second reactant. The importance of including the volume of distilled water in the table was questioned, but it was determined that knowing the total volume is necessary for calculating concentrations.
sgstudent
Hi today I took my O levels spa and the reaction was acidified KI+hydrogen peroxide. Once we see a slight colouration, we stopped timing the stopwatch. We were told to draw a tabulation box with the information in the experiment. Also we were told to clearly show the total volume of the solution before the additional if the second reactant (we diluted one of the reactants). However, I didn't put a heading as "volume of distilled water". Is that very important to write that down? I had only put volume of H2O2/cm3, volume of solution before KI was added/cm3, volume of KI/cm3 and time taken for blue colouration to appear/s. Thanks for the help!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You need to know total volume to be able to calculate concentrations.

Hi Borek I did give the total volume of distilled water+reactants so that good enough?

If I understand you correctly, it doesn't matter - recording volume of water added for dilution and final volume is equivalent (assuming you correctly recorded volumes of all reagents).

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the SPA experiment for your O levels. It sounds like you followed the instructions correctly and were able to obtain a slight colouration in your reaction. It is important to accurately record all the necessary information in an experiment, including the volume of distilled water used. This information can help in calculating the concentration of the solution and can also be useful for future reference. I would suggest going back and adding the heading "volume of distilled water" and including the corresponding values in your tabulation box. This will ensure that your data is complete and accurate. Overall, it seems like you did a good job in conducting the experiment and recording your results. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the purpose of a "Rates of reaction experiment SPA"?

The purpose of a Rates of Reaction Experiment SPA is to measure the change in concentration of reactants or products over time, in order to determine the rate of a chemical reaction. This can help scientists understand the factors that affect the speed of a reaction and how to control it.

2. How is the rate of a reaction calculated in an SPA experiment?

The rate of a reaction is calculated by measuring the change in concentration of a reactant or product over a specific time interval. This can be done by using a spectrophotometer to measure the absorbance of a colored solution, or by titrating the reaction mixture and recording the volume of titrant needed to reach an endpoint.

3. What are the key variables that affect the rate of a reaction in an SPA experiment?

The key variables that affect the rate of a reaction in an SPA experiment include temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area, and the presence of catalysts. Changes in these variables can alter the speed of a reaction, and understanding their effects is crucial in designing an effective experiment.

4. How can the results of an SPA experiment be used in real-world applications?

The results of an SPA experiment can be applied in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, food production, and environmental monitoring. By understanding the factors that affect the rate of a reaction, scientists can optimize and control the production of certain chemicals, drugs, and food products. They can also use this knowledge to develop more efficient and environmentally-friendly processes.

5. What are some potential sources of error in an SPA experiment?

Some potential sources of error in an SPA experiment include human error in measuring and recording data, impurities in reagents, and variations in environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity. It is important for scientists to carefully control and monitor these factors to ensure accurate and reliable results.