How do you determine the rate law for a reaction with KI and other reagents?

• Thread starter mesa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Rate
In summary: When KI hits the solution, it dissociates into I- and K+ ions. The I- ions are negatively charged and the K+ ions are positively charged. When the H+ ions take away electrons from the I- ions, they form I2. The I2 then reacts with the thiosulfate to reform I- ions until all thiosulphate is consumed, and the I2 can combine with the starch to change the color.
mesa
Gold Member
Okay, so I did a lab recently where we are to determine the Rate Law for a mixture of KI, starch, Na2S2O3, H202 and enough distilled water to make sure total solution volume is equal for all experiments. So when this thing starts to go we get I2 +2S2O4--->2I + S4O6, so when doing the calculations do we use 1/2M of KI for determining the rate?

Now where does the I2 come from? When KI hits the solution doesn't it dissociate into negatively charged I ions? I wish they gave more detail.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I think I see where the I2 comes from. So the buffer put's out H+ ions that react with the I- ions that came from the dissociation of KI allowing them to lose an electron and form I2, then the I2 reacts with the thiosulfate to reform I- ions until all thiosulphate is consumed allowing the I2 to form without disruption and combine with the starch changing the color. Is this right?

Now to calculate the rate law that would be rate=k[I-]^x[H2O2]^y?
Then calculate the M of each in solution and set rate = the amount of thiosulphate/time for the reaction to occur?
Or in other words : thiosulphateM/time(s)=k[I-]^x[H2O2]^y
and I- is equal to the molarity of KI in solution, is this right?

Last edited:
mesa said:
Okay, so I did a lab recently where we are to determine the Rate Law for a mixture of KI, starch, Na2S2O3, H202 and enough distilled water to make sure total solution volume is equal for all experiments. So when this thing starts to go we get I2 +2S2O4--->2I + S4O6, so when doing the calculations do we use 1/2M of KI for determining the rate?

Now where does the I2 come from? When KI hits the solution doesn't it dissociate into negatively charged I ions? I wish they gave more detail.

I've heard that H2O2 reacts with iodide under acidic conditions to produce iodine.

chemisttree said:
I've heard that H2O2 reacts with iodide under acidic conditions to produce iodine.

Just yesterday I have watched this video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
Just yesterday I have watched this video:

Hey Borek!
Okay I have a question on her video.

Did her solution turn yellow because she started producing small amounts of I2 early on?
My thinking is the KI dissociates into K+ and I- ions in the water and the NaHSO4 into Na and HSO4. Then the HSO4 decompose into H+ and SO4- so the hydrogen ions would take electrons away from the I- allowing it to form some iodine. Is this right?

Last edited by a moderator:
chemisttree said:

Okay so the buffer I used released H+ ions that took away electrons from the I- ions allowing it to form I2, is that right?

mesa said:
Okay so the buffer I used released H+ ions that took away electrons from the I- ions allowing it to form I2, is that right?

When H+ takes away electrons from something, it generates Ho. That's hydrogen gas. Did your solution bubble a lot? No? Hmmmm... Must be something else oxidizing that iodide.

I've heard that H2O2 reacts with iodide under acidic conditions to produce iodine. Modify your thought process to include that observation.

chemisttree said:
I've heard that H2O2 reacts with iodide under acidic conditions to produce iodine. Modify your thought process to include that observation.

So the H+ combines with the H2O2 and I- to make H2O and I2?

[tex]I_2 + 2S_2O_3^{2-} \xrightarrow{} 2I^- + S_4O_6^{2-}[/tex]
[tex]H_2O_2 + I^-\xrightarrow[]{acidic} H_2O + I_3^- \xrightarrow{} I_2[/tex]

H2O2 is a strong Oxidizing agent. It serves O (Oh Oh! :devil:) to other molecules and oxidize them, and itself gets happily reduced to ye ol' sweet water.

The temporary yellow coloration is due to presence of I3-.

1. What is the rate law for the reaction with KI?

The rate law for a reaction with KI would be determined through experimentation and analysis of the reaction rate at different concentrations of KI. The general form of the rate law is rate = k [KI]x, where k is the rate constant and x is the order of the reaction with respect to KI.

2. How do you determine the order of the reaction with KI?

The order of the reaction with KI can be determined by conducting experiments with varying concentrations of KI and measuring the reaction rate. The order is determined by the effect of changing the concentration of KI on the reaction rate - for example, if doubling the concentration of KI doubles the reaction rate, the reaction is first order with respect to KI. The overall order of the reaction is the sum of the individual orders with respect to each reactant.

3. What is the significance of the rate constant in the rate law?

The rate constant, k, is a proportionality constant that relates the rate of the reaction to the concentrations of the reactants. It is specific to a particular reaction at a given temperature and is used to determine the rate law and predict the reaction rate at different concentrations of reactants.

4. How does temperature affect the rate constant in a reaction with KI?

The rate constant for a reaction with KI is temperature-dependent, meaning that as the temperature increases, the rate constant also increases. This is due to the fact that at higher temperatures, more molecules have enough energy to overcome the activation energy barrier and participate in the reaction, leading to a higher reaction rate.

5. Can the rate law for a reaction with KI be used to predict the rate of the reaction at any concentration of KI?

No, the rate law can only be used to predict the reaction rate at concentrations of reactants that have been experimentally tested. The rate law is determined through experimentation and does not take into account any other factors that may affect the reaction rate, such as the presence of catalysts or changes in reaction conditions.