Ratio between 2 capacitors from known energy ratio

In summary, the two capacitors connected in series have a combined energy of U, while when connected in parallel to the same voltage source, they have a combined energy of 5U. To find the ratio of the larger to smaller capacitor, one can set C2 = r*C1 and write the energy expression for both cases, setting one equal to the appropriate multiple of the other. After canceling appropriately and solving for r, the ratio can be found to be approximately 2.62 for larger to smaller capacitor and 0.382 for smaller to larger capacitor. Another method involves solving a quadratic equation in (C1/C2) by dividing both sides by (C2)^2.
david13579

Homework Statement

Two capacitors connected in series store energy U. Now the two capacitors are connected in parallel to the same voltage source and have energy 5U. What is the ratio of the larger to small capacitor?

Homework Equations

For series capacitors Ceq=C1C2/(C1+C2)

For parallel capacitors Ceq=C1+C2
U=Q2/2C=V2C/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried everything that has come to mind:
I've tried using the U ratio as the answer but that is not it
I've tried solving for C1 and C2 but i could not find the info without knowing at least one equivalent capacitance.
I've tried playing around with the symbols, setting things equal etc but i end up going in circles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh I found the answer on my own.
I had already come to the equation (C1+C2)2 / C1C2=5 but it was impossible for me to solve. Wolfram Alpha now gave me an approximate answer and it is the ratio indeed.Is there another way of going about this? I doubt a professor would want students to solve such an odd equation.

You're looking for a ratio. So set C2 = r*C1. Write the energy expression for both cases. Set one equal to the appropriate multiple of the other. Cancel appropriately and solve for r.

david13579 said:
Oh I found the answer on my own.
I had already come to the equation (C1+C2)2 / C1C2=5 but it was impossible for me to solve. Wolfram Alpha now gave me an approximate answer and it is the ratio indeed.

Is there another way of going about this? I doubt a professor would want students to solve such an odd equation.
It's not that difficult to solve. It results in a quadratic equation in (C1/C2).

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{(C_1+C_2)^2}{C_1C_2}=5[/itex]

Multiply both sides by C1C2 and square the numerator.

[itex]\displaystyle C_1^2+2C_1C_2+C_2^2=5C_1C_2[/itex]

Subtract 5C1C2 from both sides then divide all by (C2)2 .

SammyS said:
It's not that difficult to solve. It results in a quadratic equation in (C1/C2).

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{(C_1+C_2)^2}{C_1C_2}=5[/itex]

Multiply both sides by C1C2 and square the numerator.

[itex]\displaystyle C_1^2+2C_1C_2+C_2^2=5C_1C_2[/itex]

Subtract 5C1C2 from both sides then divide all by (C2)2 .

Hmmm dividing all by C22... that is a bit that never occurred to me, making the actual ratio the variable. I'd end up with 2 solutions, reciprocal to one another. So I guess that is what Wolfram did then, since it does give the answer in terms of the 2 variables and I just solved for the ratio (simple division).

Thanks.

Still doesn't seem like a nice thing, for the professor to ask for that.

Last edited:
gneill said:
You're looking for a ratio. So set C2 = r*C1. Write the energy expression for both cases. Set one equal to the appropriate multiple of the other. Cancel appropriately and solve for r.

OMG, that's it, that's it. Thanks. This is something very simple and obvious, I don't know how I could have missed it. It is also easy enough that I can picture a professor asking for it. Now I feel embarrassed by not realizing myself.

Interesting enough, the ratio found using the method I originally used is slightly different but close enough. I wonder why.

david13579 said:
OMG, that's it, that's it. Thanks. This is something very simple and obvious, I don't know how I could have missed it. It is also easy enough that I can picture a professor asking for it. Now I feel embarrassed by not realizing myself.

Interesting enough, the ratio found using the method I originally used is slightly different but close enough. I wonder why.
... and ...

What was that ratio ?

SammyS said:
... and ...

What was that ratio ?
2.62 for large to small 0.382 for small to large

Related to Ratio between 2 capacitors from known energy ratio

1. How is the energy ratio between two capacitors calculated?

The energy ratio between two capacitors is calculated by taking the square of the ratio of their capacitances. In other words, it is equal to (C1/C2)^2, where C1 and C2 are the capacitances of the two capacitors.

2. Is the energy ratio affected by the voltage across the capacitors?

No, the energy ratio between two capacitors is not affected by the voltage across them. It is solely dependent on the ratio of their capacitances.

3. Can the energy ratio between two capacitors be less than 1?

Yes, the energy ratio between two capacitors can be less than 1. This means that the capacitor with the smaller capacitance has less energy stored compared to the one with the larger capacitance.

4. How does the energy ratio between two capacitors affect their ability to store charge?

The energy ratio between two capacitors does not directly affect their ability to store charge. However, a higher energy ratio may indicate that one capacitor has a larger capacitance and therefore can store more charge.

5. Can the energy ratio between two capacitors change over time?

No, the energy ratio between two capacitors remains constant as long as the capacitances of the two capacitors remain the same. It is not affected by external factors such as time or temperature.