1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ratio of atoms in different laser levels

1. Nov 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For large intensities, what is the maximum ratio of atoms in N1 compared with N3?
    I suppose this is just a bit of maths I'm struggling with, seems simple I just can't get it for whatever reason D:

Working through previous question, I got to:
    N3= (Ip/Is) / ((Ip/Is) +1 ) N1
    (Ip is the 'pump' intensity, Is is the saturation intensity)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My first thought was with the large intensities, they would be >> 1, so I could just ignore that and get N3 = N1. But then because it's the same fraction in the numerator and the denominator, and the +1 comes after the Ip/Is, I thought this to be wrong.
    My only other thought is that if the fraction reaches the point where it becomes 1, then N3 = 0.5 N1.
    But I'm not sure where my reasoning of this would come from. I don't think it would be ∞/∞ as, if I am correct, that is not defined, not 1.

Any hints?
    Thank in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You could ignore the 1 if the ratio Ip/Is is large, but you don't seem to be told that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted