Ratio of partial pressures of gas

In summary, the rate of effusion is determined by the pressure, mass, and effusion rate of each species. These values can be plugged into the rate of effusion equation to solve for the pressure ratio. The number of molecules for each species is also a factor in the equation.
so_gr_lo
Homework Statement
Bismuth is heated to 1100 K in an oven and gives rise to a beam of vapour molecules effusions from an aperture of area 10^-6 m^2. The beam contains Bi and Bi2 molecules in the ratio 1.41:1. Calculate the ratio of the partial pressures of Bi to Bi2 molecules

I believe the total pressure is the sum of the partial pressures but I’m not sure what to do with that, so I tried just calculating the ratio of the pressures but don’t know where to go from there
Relevant Equations
P=nKT where n is the number density per unit volume

and rate of effusion formula given below
Rate of effusion
21773AEF-762B-4304-97DC-503C0A716084.jpeg

4F88B95B-C34A-4AEF-AE4D-61D77D6A9114.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Just guessing here, but try writing your rate of effusion equation for each species separately. Each has its own pressure, mass and effusion rate, but they have the same temperature and area.

So this is what I get. since the rate of effusion is proportional to the number of molecules I guess you just plug the given number ratio and masses in and solve for the pressure ratio.

2B9781B6-9B5C-4D59-9D1A-324D3918BE3B.jpeg

so_gr_lo said:
So this is what I get. since the rate of effusion is proportional to the number of molecules I guess you just plug the given number ratio and masses in and solve for the pressure ratio.

View attachment 301449
That's what I had in mind, yes. And you know ##N_{B_i}/N_{B_{i2}}, m_{B_i}, m_{B_{i2}}##.

1. What is the ratio of partial pressures of gas?

The ratio of partial pressures of gas refers to the comparison between the pressure of a specific gas in a mixture to the total pressure of the entire gas mixture.

2. How is the ratio of partial pressures of gas calculated?

The ratio of partial pressures of gas is calculated by dividing the partial pressure of a specific gas by the total pressure of the gas mixture. This can be represented by the equation Pgas/Ptotal.

3. What is the significance of the ratio of partial pressures of gas?

The ratio of partial pressures of gas is important because it helps determine the concentration of a specific gas in a mixture. It also follows Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures, which states that the total pressure of a gas mixture is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each individual gas in the mixture.

4. How does temperature affect the ratio of partial pressures of gas?

According to the Ideal Gas Law, the ratio of partial pressures of gas is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas mixture. This means that as the temperature increases, the ratio of partial pressures also increases.

5. Can the ratio of partial pressures of gas be used to determine the mole fraction of a gas in a mixture?

Yes, the ratio of partial pressures of gas can be used to determine the mole fraction of a gas in a mixture. This can be done by rearranging the Ideal Gas Law equation to solve for the mole fraction, which is equal to the partial pressure of the gas divided by the total pressure of the gas mixture.