Ratio test for infinite series

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of the series (2n)!/(n!n!) and addresses questions about the steps used in the solution. The expert summarizer explains the basic substitution used in the first step and how the extra (2n)! in the numerator in the second step is a result of expanding the factorial. They also clarify why n!n! cancels in the numerator in the third step due to the property of (n+1)! being equal to (n+1)(n!).
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

Investigate the convergence of the following series.

(2n)!/(n!n!)

Screenshot2012-02-20at122944AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Number one, I don't see how they get that
if an = (2n)!, then an+1 = ((2n+2))!, it should be (2n+1)!

Number two, I don't see how they go to the second step, why is the second step not:

(n!n!(2n+2)!)/((n+1)!(n+1)!(2n)!)? why do they have that extra (2n)! in the numerator?

Number three, I don't see why n!n! cancels in the numerator in step 3.

Physics news on Phys.org
bobsmith76 said:

Homework Statement

Investigate the convergence of the following series.

(2n)!/(n!n!)

Screenshot2012-02-20at122944AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Number one, I don't see how they get that
if an = (2n)!, then an+1 = ((2n+2))!, it should be (2n+1)!

Number two, I don't see how they go to the second step, why is the second step not:

(n!n!(2n+2)!)/((n+1)!(n+1)!(2n)!)? why do they have that extra (2n)! in the numerator?

Number one:
an+1 = ((2n+2))! results from basic substitution.

If [itex]\displaystyle a_{n}= (2n)!\,,\ \text{ then }a_{n+1}=(2(n+1))!\,,\text{ so that }a_{n+1}=(2n+2)![/itex]

Of course, this is not the same an as in the image you posted.

bobsmith76 said:

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{n!n!(2n+2)!}{(n+1)!(n+1)!(2n)!}=\frac{n!n!(2n+2)(2n+1)(2n)!}{(n+1)!(n+1)!(2n)!}[/itex]

This is because
[itex](2n+2)!=(2n+2)((2n+2)-1)((2n+2)-2)((2n+2)-3)((2n+2)-4)\dots(3)(2)(1)[/itex]
[itex]=(2n+2)(2n+1)(2n)(2n-1)(2n-2)\dots(3)(2)(1)[/itex]

[itex]=(2n+2)(2n+1)(2n)![/itex]​

bobsmith76 said:

[itex](n+1)!=(n+1)(n!)[/itex]

Great advice I really appreciate it.

Related to Ratio test for infinite series

What is the ratio test for infinite series?

The ratio test is a convergence test used to determine whether an infinite series converges or diverges. It involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges, and if it is greater than 1, the series diverges.

How does the ratio test work?

The ratio test works by comparing the growth rate of consecutive terms in the series. If the ratio of consecutive terms approaches 1, it indicates that the series is neither rapidly increasing nor rapidly decreasing, and further analysis is needed to determine convergence or divergence. If the ratio approaches a number less than 1, it suggests that the series is converging, and if the ratio approaches a number greater than 1, it suggests that the series is diverging.

When should the ratio test be used?

The ratio test should be used when the series to be tested contains terms that involve exponentials, factorials, or other functions with rapidly increasing or decreasing growth rates. It is also useful when the series contains alternating signs, as it can be used to determine absolute convergence.

What is the difference between the ratio test and the root test?

Both the ratio test and the root test are convergence tests for infinite series. The main difference is that the ratio test compares the ratio of consecutive terms, while the root test compares the nth root of the absolute value of each term. In general, the ratio test is easier to use for series with factorials or exponentials, while the root test is better for series with nth powers of terms.

Can the ratio test determine the exact sum of an infinite series?

No, the ratio test cannot determine the exact sum of an infinite series. It can only determine whether the series converges or diverges. To find the exact sum, other methods such as the geometric series test or the telescoping series test can be used.