Ratio test for math convergence

In summary: The series is uniformly convergent on R.In summary, the expression ##\sum \frac{x^{2}}{(1+x^{2})^{n}}## converges uniformly on R, as shown by the ratio and m-tests and the geometric series method.
DotKite

Homework Statement

show ## \sum \frac{x^{2}}{(1+x^{2})^{n}} ## converges uniformly on R

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know by ratio test it is absolutely convergent for all x in R.

I am guessing you use m-test. However I do not really understand how m-test works. It is the end of the quarter and my professor pretty much trail blazed through this last chapter in order to finish on time.

Physics news on Phys.org
DotKite said:

Homework Statement

show ## \sum \frac{x^{2}}{(1+x^{2})^{n}} ## converges uniformly on R

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know by ratio test it is absolutely convergent for all x in R.

I am guessing you use m-test. However I do not really understand how m-test works. It is the end of the quarter and my professor pretty much trail blazed through this last chapter in order to finish on time.

The first step is to find the ##M_n## in the m-test. Find the maximal value of each function in your sum. Use calculus.

Dick said:
The first step is to find the ##M_n## in the m-test. Find the maximal value of each function in your sum. Use calculus.

Ok, so I let ## f_n ##(x) = ## \frac{x^{2}}{(1+x^{2})^{n}} ##

and took the derivative,

## f_n ##'(x) = ## \frac{2x}{(x^{2}+1)^{n+1}} * [1 - (n-1)x^{2}] ##

when i set it equal to zero and solve I get x = ± ## \frac{1}{(n-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}} ##

Then I plug it back into the original function,

## f_n ## ## \left ( \frac{1}{(n-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}} \right ) ## = ## \frac{1}{(n-1)(1+\frac{1}{n})^{n}} ##

before I try to figure out if ## M_n ## = ## \frac{1}{(n-1)(1+\frac{1}{n})^{n}} ## is a convergent series please tell me if I am completely wrong already.

DotKite said:
## f_n ## ## \left ( \frac{1}{(n-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}} \right ) ## = ## \frac{1}{(n-1)(1+\frac{1}{n})^{n}} ##
That's not what I get, but the difference shouldn't matter much for the convergence or otherwise. It's roughly 1/(n e) either way, which clearly doesn't converge, so you'll need a more sensitive test.

The series is just a GP. If the limit is S and the sum of the first r terms is Sr, consider the error term, S-Sr.

First of all the thesis that ##f_n(x)## in uniformly convergen on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] is not to be taken for sure.

DotKite said:
when i set it equal to zero and solve I get x = ± ## \frac{1}{(n-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}} ##
Those are not the only values by which ##f'(x)=0##

Then I plug it back into the original function,

Something went wrong during this step. You should get:
##\frac{\frac{1}{1-n}}{\left(1+\frac{1}{1-n}\right)^n}##
and with some easy manipulation you get something nice.

another nicer way is to see that
##\frac{x^2}{(1+x^2)^n}<\frac{1+x^2}{(1+x^2)^n}=\frac{1}{(1+x^2)^{n-1}}##

Quinzio said:
You should get:
##\frac{\frac{1}{1-n}}{\left(1+\frac{1}{1-n}\right)^n}##
and with some easy manipulation you get something nice.
Nicer, but not convergent.
another nicer way is to see that
##\frac{x^2}{(1+x^2)^n}<\frac{1+x^2}{(1+x^2)^n}=\frac{1}{(1+x^2)^{n-1}}##
That won't give uniform convergence.

Hi haruspex,

It will converge in all reals but zero.

That's why I'm saying the thesis is not true.

Last edited:
Quinzio said:
It will converge in all reals but zero.
The expression I passed that comment on did not involve x, so I don't understand your answer.
That's why I'm saying the thesis is not true.
Just because an attempt to prove uniform convergence fails, you cannot conclude that it is not uniformly convergent. (It is.)

OK ok.
I only wanted to give an easy way for uniform convergence for ##x \in [-\infty,0),(0,\infty]##.
Then one should treat the zero as a special case.

Quinzio said:
OK ok.
I only wanted to give an easy way for uniform convergence for ##x \in [-\infty,0),(0,\infty]##.
Then one should treat the zero as a special case.
You're not going to show uniform convergence by that method even on ##(0,\infty]##. You would be able to show it for ##(\delta,\infty]## for any δ>0, but that's not the same.

decided to go about a different way. I wrote out the nth partial sum

## s_{1}=\frac{x^{2}}{1+x^{2}} ##

## s_{2}=\frac{x^{2}}{\left ( 1+x^{2} \right )^{2}} ##

## s_{n} = \frac{x^{2}}{1+x^{2}} + \frac{x^{2}}{\left ( 1+x^{2} \right )^{2}} + ... + \frac{x^{2}}{\left ( 1+x^{2} \right )^{n}} ## ## = x^{2}\left ( \frac{1}{1+x^{2}} +...+\frac{1}{\left ( 1+x^{2} \right )^{n}} \right ) ##

notice

## \left ( \frac{1}{1+x^{2}} +...+\frac{1}{\left ( 1+x^{2} \right )^{n}} \right ) ##

is a geometric series

thus ## s_{n} = \left (x^{2} + 1 \right ) \left [ 1 - \left ( \frac{1}{1+x^{2}} \right )^{n} \right ] ##

my question: is that uniformly convergent? I am kind of confused on how to show a sequence is uniformly convergent. I know if I am able to show that then it means the series is uniformly convergent.

Last edited:
DotKite said:
decided to go about a different way. I wrote out the nth partial sum

## s_{1}=\frac{x^{2}}{1+x^{2}} ##

## s_{2}=\frac{x^{2}}{\left ( 1+x^{2} \right )^{2}} ##

## s_{n} = \frac{x^{2}}{1+x^{2}} + \frac{x^{2}}{\left ( 1+x^{2} \right )^{2}} + ... + \frac{x^{2}}{\left ( 1+x^{2} \right )^{n}} ## ## = x^{2}\left ( \frac{1}{1+x^{2}} +...+\frac{1}{\left ( 1+x^{2} \right )^{n}} \right ) ##

notice

## \left ( \frac{1}{1+x^{2}} +...+\frac{1}{\left ( 1+x^{2} \right )^{n}} \right ) ##

is a geometric series

thus ## s_{n} = \left (x^{2} + 1 \right ) \left [ 1 - \left ( \frac{1}{1+x^{2}} \right )^{n} \right ] ##

my question: is that uniformly convergent? I am kind of confused on how to show a sequence is uniformly convergent. I know if I am able to show that then it means the series is uniformly convergent.

Now that's a good idea! But I don't think you've got the algebra quite right. Try it again. Consider that the behavior at x=0 might be quite different than elsewhere and you might find it's pretty easy to show that it CAN'T be uniformly convergent.

Dick said:
Now that's a good idea! But I don't think you've got the algebra quite right. Try it again. Consider that the behavior at x=0 might be quite different than elsewhere and you might find it's pretty easy to show that it CAN'T be uniformly convergent.

maybe it's just late, and my brain is fried. I now end up with

## \frac{1-\left ( \frac{1}{1 + x^{2}} \right )^{n}}{1 + x^{2}} ##

doesn't seem right.

Last edited:

What is the ratio test for math convergence?

The ratio test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series by examining the ratio between consecutive terms. It is a powerful tool for determining convergence because it can be applied to a wide range of series, including those with alternating signs, powers, and factorials.

How is the ratio test applied to a series?

To apply the ratio test, you take the limit of the absolute value of the ratio between the (n+1)th term and the nth term as n approaches infinity. If the resulting limit is less than 1, the series converges. If it is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used.

What are the advantages of using the ratio test for convergence?

One of the main advantages of the ratio test is its versatility. It can be used for a wide variety of series, unlike other tests that only work for specific types of series. Additionally, the ratio test is relatively easy to apply and can provide a quick determination of convergence or divergence.

Are there any limitations to using the ratio test?

While the ratio test is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series; it cannot provide information about the actual value of the series. Additionally, the ratio test may be inconclusive for certain series, in which case another test must be used.

How is the ratio test related to other tests for convergence?

The ratio test is closely related to the root test, which also examines the behavior of the terms in a series as n approaches infinity. The main difference is that the ratio test uses the ratio between consecutive terms, while the root test uses the nth root of the nth term. Both tests have similar criteria for convergence and divergence, but may give different results for certain series.