Using the Ratio Test Methodology to Determine Convergence

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the Ratio Test to determine whether a given series converges or diverges. The conversation also touches on the importance of using parentheses to avoid ambiguity in mathematical expressions.
Rapier

Homework Statement

Determine whether Ʃ(1→∞) n^2/e^n converges or diverges.

Homework Equations

L = lim (n→∞) abs [a_n+1/a_n]

The Attempt at a Solution

The prof was out of town so left us a "self-study" task. We're looking at the Ratio Test and I want to see if my methodology is correct.

a_n+1 = (n+1)^2/e^n+1 = n^2 + 2n + 1/e^n+1
a_n = n^2/e^n

L = lim (n→∞) abs [n^2 + 2n + 1/e^(n+1) / n^2/e^n]
L = lim (n→∞) abs [n^2 + 2n + 1 / (e*n^2)]
L = lim (n→∞) abs [(n^2/n^2 + 2n / n^2 + 1/n^2)/(e*n^2/n^2)] <--- ?
L = lim (n→∞) abs [(1 + 1/n + 1/n^2) / e]
L = 1/e

The spot I'm not sure about is dividing the terms by the highest term in the denominator. When I did that for the next problem (n/2^n) I got L = .5 and it can't possibly converge to .5 because the first two terms are .5.

Does the existence of the limit simply mean convergence and not what the limit is converging to? I seem to remember something like that, but can't recall for sure.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rapier said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether Ʃ(1→∞) n^2/e^n converges or diverges.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The prof was out of town so left us a "self-study" task. We're looking at the Ratio Test and I want to see if my methodology is correct.

a_n+1 = (n+1)^2/e^n+1 = n^2 + 2n + 1/e^n+1
Arrrghh! You need parentheses! The right side is n2 + 2n + 1/en + 1. I hope that you recognize that this is not the same as (n2 + 2n + 1)/(en + 1) or even (n2 + 2n + 1)/en + 1. I'm sure that's not what you intended.
Rapier said:
a_n = n^2/e^n

L = lim (n→∞) abs [n^2 + 2n + 1/e^(n+1) / n^2/e^n]
L = lim (n→∞) abs [n^2 + 2n + 1 / (e*n^2)]
L = lim (n→∞) abs [(n^2/n^2 + 2n / n^2 + 1/n^2)/(e*n^2/n^2)] <--- ?
L = lim (n→∞) abs [(1 + 1/n + 1/n^2) / e]
L = 1/e
You don't need all of this. Just look at the ratio, an+1/an, and take the limit. You don't need absolute values, since all of the terms in your series are already positive.

The limit of the ratio above is 1/e, so what does the Ratio Test tell you about the related series? This should be in your textbook.
Rapier said:
The spot I'm not sure about is dividing the terms by the highest term in the denominator. When I did that for the next problem (n/2^n) I got L = .5 and it can't possibly converge to .5 because the first two terms are .5.

Does the existence of the limit simply mean convergence and not what the limit is converging to? I seem to remember something like that, but can't recall for sure.
The Ratio Test can tell you whether a given series converges, but it doesn't say what the series converges to.

Mark44 said:
Arrrghh! You need parentheses! The right side is n2 + 2n + 1/en + 1. I hope that you recognize that this is not the same as (n2 + 2n + 1)/(en + 1) or even (n2 + 2n + 1)/en + 1. I'm sure that's not what you intended.
You don't need all of this. Just look at the ratio, an+1/an, and take the limit. You don't need absolute values, since all of the terms in your series are already positive.

The limit of the ratio above is 1/e, so what does the Ratio Test tell you about the related series? This should be in your textbook.
The Ratio Test can tell you whether a given series converges, but it doesn't say what the series converges to.

Yeah, I probably should have parenthised that a little better. Sorry about that. Thanks for the help!

1. What is the ratio test methodology?

The ratio test methodology is a statistical method used to determine the strength of the relationship between two variables. It involves calculating the ratio of two variables and comparing it to a predetermined threshold to determine if the relationship is significant or not.

2. How is the ratio test methodology useful in scientific research?

The ratio test methodology is useful in scientific research because it allows scientists to quantitatively measure the strength of the relationship between variables. This can help identify patterns and trends, as well as provide evidence for or against a hypothesis.

3. What is the process for conducting a ratio test?

The process for conducting a ratio test involves collecting data on two variables and calculating the ratio between them. This ratio is then compared to a predetermined threshold, such as a critical value or a confidence interval, to determine if the relationship between the variables is statistically significant.

4. What are the advantages of using the ratio test methodology?

One advantage of using the ratio test methodology is that it provides a more precise measurement of the relationship between variables compared to other statistical methods. It also allows for the identification of non-linear relationships between variables, which may not be detected by other methods.

5. Are there any limitations to the ratio test methodology?

Like any statistical method, the ratio test methodology has some limitations. It assumes that the variables being tested are normally distributed and that the relationship between them is linear. It also does not indicate causation, only a correlation between the variables.