1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ratio Test Radius of Convergence

1. Nov 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ∑ x2n / n!

The limits of the sum go from n = 0 to n = infinity

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I take the limit as n approaches infinity of aa+1 / an. So that gives me:

((x2n+2) * (n!)) / ((x2n) * (n + 1)!)

Canceling everything out gives me x2 / (n + 1)

The limit as n approaches infinity is x2 1 / (infinity + 1), which is x^2 * 0

So now where do I go from here? x^2 * 0 is 0. So does that mean my interval of convergence is just the point x = 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2014 #2
    You messed up, it's definitely worth fixing and understanding.

You should get ##\lim n \to \infty \frac{x}{n + 1} = 0##. Convince yourself:)

Here ##L = 0##. The ratio test says the series converges absolutely if ##L < 1##. For what values of ##x## is this true?

4. Nov 10, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just the opposite. What you have shown is that the ratio is always less than 1 so it always converges. In general if the limit in the ratio test is 'A' then the radius of convergence is 1/A. If ratio is never less than 1, the radius of convergence is 0 (so the interval of convergence is just x= 0) and if the ratio is always less than 1, the radius of convergence is infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted