Ratio Test Radius of Convergence

In summary, the given series of ∑ x2n / n!, with limits from n = 0 to n = infinity, converges absolutely for all values of x. The ratio test shows that the limit as n approaches infinity is always less than 1, meaning the series will always converge. The radius of convergence for this series is infinity, indicating that the series will converge for all values of x.
checkmatechamp

Homework Statement

∑ x2n / n!

The limits of the sum go from n = 0 to n = infinity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I take the limit as n approaches infinity of aa+1 / an. So that gives me:

((x2n+2) * (n!)) / ((x2n) * (n + 1)!)

Canceling everything out gives me x2 / (n + 1)

The limit as n approaches infinity is x2 1 / (infinity + 1), which is x^2 * 0

So now where do I go from here? x^2 * 0 is 0. So does that mean my interval of convergence is just the point x = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
You messed up, it's definitely worth fixing and understanding.

You should get ##\lim n \to \infty \frac{x}{n + 1} = 0##. Convince yourself:)

Here ##L = 0##. The ratio test says the series converges absolutely if ##L < 1##. For what values of ##x## is this true?

checkmatechamp said:
So does that mean my interval of convergence is just the point x = 0?
Just the opposite. What you have shown is that the ratio is always less than 1 so it always converges. In general if the limit in the ratio test is 'A' then the radius of convergence is 1/A. If ratio is never less than 1, the radius of convergence is 0 (so the interval of convergence is just x= 0) and if the ratio is always less than 1, the radius of convergence is infinity.

What is the Ratio Test for determining the Radius of Convergence?

The Ratio Test is a method used to determine the radius of convergence for a series. It involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of the (n+1)th term to the nth term of a series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges, and if it is greater than 1, the series diverges.

How do you find the Radius of Convergence using the Ratio Test?

To find the radius of convergence using the Ratio Test, you first calculate the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of the (n+1)th term to the nth term of the series. Then, you take the reciprocal of this limit to find the radius of convergence.

What is a Power Series and how does it relate to the Radius of Convergence?

A Power Series is a series where each term is a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a power. The Radius of Convergence is the distance from the center of the power series within which the series converges. If the distance from the center is greater than the radius of convergence, the series will diverge.

What is an Interval of Convergence and how is it related to the Radius of Convergence?

An Interval of Convergence is the range of values for which a power series converges. The radius of convergence determines the center of this interval, and the interval extends to the left and right by the same distance as the radius of convergence.

What is the difference between Absolute and Conditional Convergence, and how does it relate to the Ratio Test for the Radius of Convergence?

Absolute Convergence means that a series converges regardless of the order of the terms. Conditional Convergence means that a series only converges when the terms are arranged in a specific order. The Ratio Test for the Radius of Convergence can only determine Absolute Convergence, not Conditional Convergence.