Rational Functions: Max Roots & Poles

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses polynomials over \mathbb{C} and a rational function R defined over \mathbb{C}\cup \{\infty\}. It is mentioned that R has exactly [itex]max\{n,d\} roots and poles, with multiplicity taken into account. There is a discussion about counting roots and poles at infinity and how to determine the multiplicity at infinity. The formal definition of the multiplicity of a root/pole at infinity is not mentioned, but it is implied to be the order of the pole/zero at zero of the function's reciprocal.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Consider [itex]p_n(z)[/itex] and [itex]q_d(z)[/itex] two polynomials over [itex]\mathbb{C}[/tex], which can be factorized like so:

[tex]p_n(z) = a_n (z-z_1)^{n_1}...(z-z_{k})^{n_k}[/tex]
[tex]q_d(z) = b_d(z-\zeta_1)^{d_1}...(z-\zeta_{m})^{d_m}[/tex]

([itex]\sum^k n_i =n \ \ \ \sum^m d_i =d[/itex])

and the rationnal function [itex]R: \mathbb{C}\cup \{\infty\} \rightarrow \mathbb{C}\cup \{\infty\}[/itex] defined by

[tex]R(z) = \frac{p_n(z)}{q_d(z)}[/tex] if [tex]z \neq \zeta_i, \infty[/tex]

[tex] R(\zeta_i) = \infty[/tex]

[tex]R(\infty) = \left\{ \begin{array}{rcl}
\infty & \mbox{if}
& n>d \\ \frac{a_n}{b_n} & \mbox{if} & n=d \\
0 & \mbox{if} & n<d
\end{array}\right[/tex]

I fail to see why R(z) has exactly [itex]max\{n,d\}[/itex] roots and poles. It seems to me the number of roots is equal to k or k+1 in the case of n<d and the number of poles is m or m+1 in the case of n>d.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They are counting with multiplicity, e.g. z^2 has 2 zeros at z=0.

Don't forget that you are assuming that [itex]z_i \neq \zeta_j[/itex]. (But that has nothing to do with your confusion)

Last edited:
shmoe said:
They are counting with multiplicity, e.g. z^2 has 2 zeros at z=0.

I also investigated that possibility. But even so, counting with multiplicity, R has n or n+1 roots and d or d+1 poles.

You have to count multiplicity at infinity too.

What does that mean?

Your function may have a multiple root/pole at infinity, just like it may have a multiple root/pole at any other number. You have to count the multiplicity of the root/pole at infinity, just like you have to count the multiplicity of the roots/poles at all the other numbers.

But for the roots/poles in [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex], I know what their order of multiplicity are by looking at the number [itex]n_i/d_i[/itex] respectively. How do I know what the multiplicity is at infinity?!

I don't know how your book defines the multiplicity of a root/pole at infinity. What does its definition say?

It is not defined. I am using the definition from a linear algebra book my Lay, which says that the order of multiplicity of an eigenvalue [itex]a[/itex] is the power of [itex](\lambda-a)[/itex] in the caracteristic polynomial.

Well, as you could guess from the answer, a function that looks asymptotically like x^k has a pole of order k at infinity, and similarly for one that looks like x^-k.

Is that a formal definition?

I don't remember what the formal definition is. I just remember that that's what you want to get out of it.

Thanks Hurky, but it seems unlike our teacher to just throw stuff at us that we can't prove for ourself very easily. I'll ask him for more details.

The order of the pole/zero at infinity of [tex]f(z)[/tex] is usually defined to be the order of the pole/zero of [tex]f\left(\frac{1}{z}\right)[/tex] at zero.

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical expression that can be written as the quotient of two polynomials. It is typically written in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomials and q(x) is not equal to zero.

2. What are the roots of a rational function?

The roots of a rational function are the values of x that make the numerator equal to zero. These values can be found by factoring the numerator and setting each factor equal to zero. If the denominator is also equal to zero at any of these values, then that value is not a valid root.

3. What are poles in a rational function?

Poles in a rational function are the values of x that make the denominator equal to zero. These values can be found by factoring the denominator and setting each factor equal to zero. If the numerator is also equal to zero at any of these values, then that value is not a valid pole.

4. How do I find the maximum roots and poles of a rational function?

The maximum roots and poles of a rational function can be found by simplifying the function and identifying the highest power of x in the numerator and denominator. The maximum roots are the values of x that make the highest power of x in the numerator equal to zero, and the maximum poles are the values of x that make the highest power of x in the denominator equal to zero. These values can then be used to graph the rational function.

5. Can a rational function have more than one maximum root or pole?

Yes, a rational function can have multiple maximum roots and poles. This can occur when there are multiple factors in the numerator or denominator that have the same highest power of x. In this case, each factor will have its own corresponding maximum root or pole.