1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RC Circuit - Post-Lab Questions

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the voltage across a capacitor after a time of two constants when charging from zero voltage. When discharging from a fully charged condition?

2. Relevant equations

VCapacitor = VBattery(1 - e-t/2T)

VCapacitor = VMaximum * e-t/2T

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm confused at how to start. I can do the algebra...

Charging from zero voltage - so would I set VMaximum to 0? Wouldn't I need to know VBattery? That wouldn't make sense to me. If I can get an idea of how to approach this problem, I should be able to solve it no problem. Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

With V = Vo*e-t/RC, it mathematically takes an infinite time for a capacitor in an RC circuit to discharge. Practically, how many time constants does it take for a capacitor to discharge to less than 1% of its initial voltage?

2. Relevant equations

V = Vo*e-t/RC

3. The attempt at a solution

0.01*Vo = Vo*e-t/RC
    0.01 = e-t/RC
    100 = et/RC
    ln(100) = t/RC
    2*ln(10)*RC = t

So, I'm saying that it takes approximately 4.61 time constants.

Would this be correct? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2
    For the first problem, I think your teacher wants a symbolic answer such as ".5V"

Your 4.61 time constants is right.

4. Mar 27, 2010 #3
    I'm not even sure how to work either of the first two problems? It seems like I should need to know more information...

5. Mar 28, 2010 #4
    Anyone? I've been trying to work the first two still, and I just can't get past the fact that I think that I need more information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook