Solve RC Circuit Problem: Initial Conditions & t1 >> 0

VC2 after t1.In summary, the conversation involves a problem with solving an RC circuit and finding the value of VC2 after a certain time, t1. One approach suggested is to use the equation VC1=VR1+VC2 and solve for the time response, taking into account the initial conditions and using the formula I3=C2dVC2/dt and I2=VC2/R2. However, this approach leads to an incorrect answer. Another suggested approach is to find the time response and take the difference between v(infinity) and v(0+), which will give the value of VC2 after t1.
cobrab
Hello All,

I'm having problem to solved the attached RC circuit.

The initial conditions are: VC1(0)=V, VC2(0)=0, and the qeustion is what will be the VC2 after t1 (t1>>0)?

but i always get VC2(t1)=V which is imposible.

I'm solving it by using i=cdv/dt

3. The Attempt at a Solution is as follows:

VC1=VR1+VC2

I=I2+I3 (I2 is the current throgh the R2 and I3 is throgh C2)

It/C1-VC1(0)=(I2+I3)/R1+VC2 -> (I2+I3)t/C1-VC1(0)=(I2+I3)R1+VC2

This is the basic after that I'm putting I3=C2dVC2/dt and I2=VC2/R2

I'm solving the equation and getting wrong answer of VC2(t1)=V.

t1>>0.

Thanks you

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org
Another and much easier approach you may want to take is to find the time response, and find v(infinity), v(0+)

Based on the information provided, it seems that you are on the right track with your solution. However, there may be some errors in your calculations that are leading to the incorrect answer of VC2(t1)=V. I would suggest double checking your equations and calculations to ensure they are correct. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a circuit diagram and label all the components and variables to visualize the problem better. You may also want to consider using Kirchhoff's laws to help solve the circuit. Keep in mind that the initial conditions and the value of t1 being much greater than 0 will affect the final answer, so make sure to take those into account as well. Good luck!

FAQ: Solve RC Circuit Problem: Initial Conditions & t1 >> 0

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). It is commonly used in electronic circuits to control the flow of electrical current.

2. What are initial conditions in an RC circuit?

Initial conditions refer to the voltages and currents in an RC circuit at the moment the circuit is turned on. These initial conditions are important in solving RC circuit problems, as they affect the behavior of the circuit over time.

3. How do initial conditions affect the solution of an RC circuit problem?

Initial conditions can affect the solution of an RC circuit problem in two ways: 1) the initial voltage across the capacitor affects the charging or discharging of the capacitor, and 2) the initial current through the resistor affects the rate of change of the capacitor voltage.

4. What does t1 >> 0 mean in relation to an RC circuit problem?

t1 >> 0 means that the time interval t1 is much greater than 0, indicating that the circuit has reached a steady-state condition. In this state, the voltages and currents in the circuit do not change significantly over time.

5. How can I solve an RC circuit problem with initial conditions and t1 >> 0?

To solve an RC circuit problem with initial conditions and t1 >> 0, you can use the equations for the voltage and current in an RC circuit and substitute the initial conditions. Then, you can use the steady-state condition (t1 >> 0) to simplify the equations and solve for the desired variables.