What is the voltage on capacitance C2 immediately after commutation in circuits?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of commutation in circuits and how charges redistribute themselves across capacitors when a switch is closed. It is concluded that in the ideal case, the redistribution happens instantly and is not affected by any time constants in the surrounding circuit. The resulting potential on the combined capacitance is determined using the Thevenin equivalent circuit.
Ivan Antunovic

Homework Statement

By the time t = 0, the network was in steady state. At time t = 0, the switch is turned on. Find the voltage on the capacitance C2 immediately after the commutation.[/B]

Homework Equations

KCL i(-0) = -ic1(+0) - ic2(+0)
KVL E-i(-0) * R-Vc1(-0) = 0
Vc1(+0) = Vc2(+0)

The Attempt at a Solution

The picture attached,
The current at t = - 0 is i(-0) = E/R+R1, at time t = +0 ,R1 and R2 are both being short circuited by C2,but are my KVL and KCL equations even right?I think I messed up with times +0 and -0.

How do I approach commutation in circuits?
It's really confusing for me since I've just started learning about it.

Attachments

• Circuit.jpg
    Circuit.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC_0944.JPG
    DSC_0944.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 306
Physics news on Phys.org
Your voltage across C1 for time t=0- is fine. It's the result of the R&R1 voltage divider.

For the instant after the switch closes, here's a hint: At time t=0+ the switch closes and suddenly C1 and C2 are connected in parallel (all the components C1, C2, R1, R2 are in parallel when the switch is closed). What is the resulting potential on the combined capacitance? Note that the wiring is assumed to be ideal (no resistance).

When the switch is closed, the charge on C1 "instantly" redistributes over C1 and C2.

NascentOxygen said:
When the switch is closed, the charge on C1 "instantly" redistributes over C1 and C2.

Well since this is infinitesimally small period t = (0+) - (0-) ---->0 the voltage and therefore the charge cannot change over such a small period of a time ,since dv/dt can never be rapid atleast in particle way.And from that I conclude that there cannot be 'instantly' redistrubuted .I might be wrong on this one,just my thoughts.

gneill said:
Your voltage across C1 for time t=0- is fine. It's the result of the R&R1 voltage divider.

For the instant after the switch closes, here's a hint: At time t=0+ the switch closes and suddenly C1 and C2 are connected in parallel (all the components C1, C2, R1, R2 are in parallel when the switch is closed). What is the resulting potential on the combined capacitance? Note that the wiring is assumed to be ideal (no resistance).

Okay,I had the same picture in my head of things happening like you have mentioned.
Ceq = C1 + C2,
Q1(-0)=Q1(+0)=C1 * (E/(R1+R) * R1
Veq(+0)=Vc2(+0)=Q1(+0) / Ceq =( C1/ (C1+C2))*R1*(E/(R1+R))
I guess this should be the right solution.

Since the components are considered to be ideal there is no resistance involved in the connections joining the capacitors when the switch is closed. So the time constant pertaining to the redistribution of charge across the pair is zero. I know, one might think that is not practically possible since the charge carriers in reality have mass and so must take some time to move, but we are not looking at such ultimate physical details here in the ideal case. It is sufficient to know that any time constant involved in this process is significantly smaller (and by a very wide margin) than any other time constant involved in the circuit.

And, I presume that this is why @NascentOxygen used quotes around the word "instantly" :smile:

Hence for all practical purposes the charge distributes itself instantly across both capacitors.
Ivan Antunovic said:
Veq(+0)=Vc2(+0)=Q1(+0) / Ceq =( C1/ (C1+C2))*R1*(E/(R1+R))
I guess this should be the right solution.
Looks good.

gneill said:
Since the components are considered to be ideal there is no resistance involved in the connections joining the capacitors when the switch is closed. So the time constant pertaining to the redistribution of charge across the pair is zero. I know, one might think that is not practically possible since the charge carriers in reality have mass and so must take some time to move, but we are not looking at such ultimate physical details here in the ideal case. It is sufficient to know that any time constant involved in this process is significantly smaller (and by a very wide margin) than any other time constant involved in the circuit.

And, I presume that this is why @NascentOxygen used quotes around the word "instantly" :smile:

Hence for all practical purposes the charge distributes itself instantly across both capacitors.

Looks good.

When replacing C1 and C2 with Ceq,I get thevenin equivalent of a circuit,where time constant is T=R*Ceq,how does a time constant pair to zero?

Edited:
Okay,I think I got it,since we are only looking for an exchange of a charge between C1 and C2 which are connected parallel without any resistance,the charge will be redistributed very fast,we actually don't care if there is a battery and a resistor on the other side?

Ivan Antunovic said:
When replacing C1 and C2 with Ceq,I get thevenin equivalent of a circuit,where time constant is T=R*Ceq,how does a time constant pair to zero?Am I missing something here?

The time it takes the charges to redistribute across the capacitors is not tied to the time constant of the surrounding circuit. None of those components are involved in that process -- no current has to flow through any of those resistors for this charge redistribution to happen.

gneill said:
The time it takes the charges to redistribute across the capacitors is not tied to the time constant of the surrounding circuit. None of those components are involved in that process -- no current has to flow through any of those resistors for this charge redistribution to happen.
Just edited the post above,I figured it out by myself. :)

Last edited:

Related to What is the voltage on capacitance C2 immediately after commutation in circuits?

1. What is commutation in circuits?

Commutation in circuits refers to the process of reversing the direction of current flow in an electrical circuit. This is typically achieved through the use of switches or semiconductor devices.

2. Why is commutation important?

Commutation is important because it allows for the control and manipulation of current flow in a circuit. It is essential for the functioning of many electronic devices and systems.

3. What are the different types of commutation?

There are two main types of commutation: forced and natural. Forced commutation is achieved through the use of external circuit components such as switches, while natural commutation occurs due to the inherent properties of the circuit components.

4. What are the challenges of commutation in high-power circuits?

High-power circuits pose several challenges for commutation. One of the main challenges is the generation of high voltage spikes during the switching process, which can damage components. Another challenge is the production of significant amounts of heat, which can affect the efficiency and reliability of the circuit.

5. How can commutation be improved in circuits?

Commutation can be improved through the use of advanced semiconductor devices and circuit design techniques. Additionally, proper heat dissipation and protection against voltage spikes can help to improve the performance and longevity of circuits.