RC Circuits, how do you solve for V(infinity)?

In summary, at DC a capacitor appears as an open-circuit. The voltage across the capacitor is zero when t<0, and the current through the resistors is zero at t=0.
sugz

Homework Statement

Question is attached below

Homework Equations

v(t) =v(infinity) + [v(t0)-v(infinity)]e^[-(t-t0)]

The Attempt at a Solution

For t<0, you get the circuit where it is only Rt, R, and C, but in dc circuits, the capacitor is an open circuit, does this mean v(t0) =0?

For t>0 the middle Rt is removed and you get a circuit consisting of Vt, Rt, R and C. To find Rth, you short circuit Vt and open circuit C, so Req= Rt+R. So time constant is C(Rt+R). To find v(infinity), we open circuit the the capacitator, but how do you solve for v(infinity)?

Attachments

• 20150310_154511.jpg
    20150310_154511.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 964
  • 20150310_154525.jpg
    20150310_154525.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 837
Physics news on Phys.org
How large a voltage do you need across the capacitor in order that the current from the battery to the capacitor is zero?

I'm not too sure to be honest!

Hi,

So far, what I know is that the voltage across the capacitor is zero when t<0. For t>0,the switch is in position b and the capacitor is an open open circuit do dc. This will result in equation:

-VT+(RT+R)*ic+Vc(t>0)=0
= Vc(t>0)=VT-(RT+R)*ic

Can someone help me please?

"At DC a capacitor appears as an open-circuit" holds true ONLY under steady DC when all currents and voltages have reached fixed, unchanging levels. You could say this occurs at t=infinity.

At switch-on when the capacitor voltage is not at its final fixed value, the capacitor for that brief instant appears as a short-circuit.

1. Homework Statement
Question is attached below
Because print in photos is ALWAYS more difficult to read than forum text, it would be appreciated if you would ALWAYS retype the text in photos into your post out of consideration for those forum participants contending with small screens or thick lenses, or both. :smile:

sugz said:
I'm not too sure to be honest!
Hint: When the voltage across the capacitor (VC) is equal to the battery voltage (VT), what is the current from the battery to the capacitor?

Dear sugz,

In post #1 you mention one relevant equation. In #4 another one, but without explicitly showing where the time dependencies are.
I am wondering if you know what the one in post #1 means and understand where it comes from.
If you don't feel all that comfortable in this exercise, I'd advise you to read up just a little on capacitors, here and here and here. Or in your textbook, if that is clear enough.
The subject is not all that complicated and well worth the investment of your time.
I could repeat the material, but find the hyperphysics hard to surpass in clarity.

sugz said:
So far, what I know is that the voltage across the capacitor is zero when t<0. For t>0,the switch is in position b and the capacitor is an open open circuit do dc.

Correct but...

a) What is the voltage on the capacitor at t=0 ?
b) What is the voltage drop across the resistors at t=0?
c) What is the current through the resistors at t=0?
d) What happens to the charge and voltage on the capacitor as a result of that current?

Related to RC Circuits, how do you solve for V(infinity)?

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of current and store electrical energy.

2. How do you solve for V(infinity) in an RC circuit?

V(infinity) in an RC circuit refers to the voltage across the capacitor when the circuit has reached steady state. To solve for V(infinity), you can use the formula V(infinity) = V(0) * (1 - e^-t/RC), where V(0) is the initial voltage across the capacitor, t is the time, and RC is the time constant of the circuit.

3. What is the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant (RC) in an RC circuit is the product of the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) values. It represents the time it takes for the capacitor to charge to approximately 63% of its maximum voltage in an RC charging circuit, or discharge to approximately 37% of its initial voltage in an RC discharging circuit.

4. How do you calculate the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant (RC) can be calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) by the capacitance (C) values. In units, it is represented as seconds (s). For example, if R = 100 ohms and C = 0.1 microfarads, the time constant would be 10 microseconds (µs).

5. What factors can affect V(infinity) in an RC circuit?

Several factors can affect V(infinity) in an RC circuit. These include the initial voltage (V(0)) across the capacitor, the time constant (RC) of the circuit, and the amount of time the circuit has been charging or discharging. Additionally, changes in resistance or capacitance values can also affect V(infinity).