RC Delay, Beginner 15 Year old EE,

In summary: Joe-Knows-Electron…&tag=pfamazon01-20You need to buy two different LEDs, and wire them in series. The LED in the first position will have a longer wire, and the LED in the second position will have a shorter wire. Then, connect the anodes of the LEDs to the (+) of the power supply, and the cathodes of the LEDs to the (-) of the power supply.For the delay, you would put a resistor in series between the LED and the power supply. The resistor would allow a delay before the LED light is activated. You would also need to connect the LED and resistor so that the resistor is in
hacker15
I've been experimenting for hours, and my LED still won't light correctly when this method is used, and the fluke 87 reads voltage on the circuit in a non-logical way. Can you help? Here's what I have set up when using an online calculator:
Time delay: 2000 milliseconds
Power supply: 15v
Capacitance: 100μF
Resistance: 100KΩ
I want to achieve a result voltage of 2-2.2V, 20ma
Is this possible via this method?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could you please draw out your circuit and post it? Also measuring from the negative terminal of the supply (black lead) could you post the voltages (red lead) at various nodes in the circuit?
That will help a lot.

hacker15 said:
I've been experimenting for hours, and my LED still won't light correctly when this method is used, and the fluke 87 reads voltage on the circuit in a non-logical way. Can you help? Here's what I have set up when using an online calculator:
Time delay: 2000 milliseconds
Power supply: 15v
Capacitance: 100μF
Resistance: 100KΩ
I want to achieve a result voltage of 2-2.2V, 20ma
Is this possible via this method?

Welcome to the PF.

You have a 15V power supply feeding the RC to get a time constant of a second or two (right?). Where does the LED come into play? You can't drive the LED through the 100k resistor...

skeptic2 said:
Could you please draw out your circuit and post it? Also measuring from the negative terminal of the supply (black lead) could you post the voltages (red lead) at various nodes in the circuit?
That will help a lot.

Here is my circuit:
http://caltechhelp.net84.net/ledrc.jpg
Electricity flows from the orange (-) to the positive (+)
Sorry for the late reply, I'm new here and had to upload the image to one of my servers (I'm a web developer)

hacker15 said:
Here is my circuit:
http://caltechhelp.net84.net/ledrc.jpg
Electricity flows from the orange (-) to the positive (+)
Sorry for the late reply, I'm new here and had to upload the image to one of my servers (I'm a web developer)

Your image is getting blocked as a high-risk website. Can you just attach the JPG image to your post? Look for the paper clip icon in the edit window to upload an attachment.

I completely missed that, thank you! And that's because of my hosting service..

Attachments

• ledrc.jpg
    ledrc.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 373
Can you upload the schematic?

I know the schematic is horrid, but please bear with. Additionally i noticed my cap's were to smallin size, so i changed them. The led lit very dimly, then blew.

Never mind, it just quit lighting. I just tested it on another circuit. I apologize for any confusion!

hacker15 said:
I know the schematic is horrid, but please bear with. Additionally i noticed my cap's were to smallin size, so i changed them. The led lit very dimly, then blew.

The schematic is unvisible! :tongue2:

berkeman said:
The schematic is unvisible! :tongue2:

Lol sorry XD

Attachments

• schem.jpg
    schem.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 473
Yeah, you can't drive an LED through a 100k Ohm resistor.

You need to do something different to drive the LED. Are you wanting to have a couple second delay after throwing a switch before the LED lights up? You would need to add something separate to sense when the RC waveform rises above some level, and then use a transistor or something to drive the LED.

If you drive the LED from your 15V supply, you will need to choose a series resistor to drop about 13V (most LEDs have about 2V across them when lit), and set the current at 10-20mA (whatever the LED current spec is). For example, if you wanted 20mA through the LED with 13V across the resistor, the resistor in series with the LED would be 13V/0.02A = 650 Ohms.

berkeman said:

You need to do something different to drive the LED. Are you wanting to have a couple second delay after throwing a switch before the LED lights up? You would need to add something separate to sense when the RC waveform rises above some level, and then use a transistor or something to drive the LED.

If you drive the LED from your 15V supply, you will need to choose a series resistor to drop about 13V (most LEDs have about 2V across them when lit), and set the current at 10-20mA (whatever the LED current spec is). For example, if you wanted 20mA through the LED with 13V across the resistor, the resistor in series with the LED would be 13V/0.02A = 650 Ohms.

I have run the led's previously, but I want to create a time delay (preferably make two different led's flash at different time intervals).
My supplies to achieve this are as follows:
(2x) https://www.amazon.com/BB400-Solderless-P…&tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/Joe-Knows-Electron…&tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/Solderless-Flexibl…&tag=pfamazon01-20
http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog/pro…

Last edited by a moderator:
hacker15 said:

Look at using 555 timer chips or similar to generate the delay functions you want, and then drive NPN transistors as switches to turn on your LEDs. Just Google 555 timer LED driver, or similar to see various circuits that you can use.

berkeman said:
Look at using 555 timer chips or similar to generate the delay functions you want, and then drive NPN transistors as switches to turn on your LEDs. Just Google 555 timer LED driver, or similar to see various circuits that you can use.

I've come across those alot.. I guess I'll have to tough it out and start buying diods and such? Lol, can you provide me with links to good components for beginners, with a quantity high enough to blow a few or more of each? XD Thank you!(:

hacker15 said:
None of those links work. Would it be possible to repost them?
berkeman said:
True, especially when there are capacitors in series with that resistor :confused:
hacker15 said:
attachment.php?attachmentid=48756&d=1341009067.jpg

Google search on reading schematics

My thought is, if you read through or watch some of sites on that list you will then be able to draw us a schematic diagram. We need it to help you.

Also it may help you with getting your circuits working.

Last edited:
That circuit looks an awful lot like a circuit for driving an LED using alternating current. The LED would rectify the small alternating current and the resistor would limit the current so as not to burn out the LED. The capacitor would couple the AC to allow enough current to flow to allow the led to light.

If you use DC then you would not get any current through the capacitors. I supposed if you had a very unfiltered DC power supply the ripple might cause the LED to light.

I am using a 15v dc 30mA power supply, which i found laying around and soldered/shrink wrapped breadboard jumpers on, for easy experimentation. Is it not possible to power though a capacitor this way?

A series capacitor blocks DC current. So no you cannot power anything through a cap in a DC circuit.

Darn. So I guess it's time to make another shopping list!

1. What is RC delay?

RC delay refers to the delay in the response of a circuit due to the resistance and capacitance present in the circuit. It is a measure of the time taken for the output of a circuit to reach its steady-state value after a change in the input.

2. How does RC delay affect circuit performance?

RC delay can affect circuit performance by causing a delay in the signal propagation, leading to slower response times and reduced bandwidth. It can also introduce noise and distortion in the output signal, affecting the accuracy of the circuit.

3. What factors affect RC delay?

The four main factors that affect RC delay are the resistance and capacitance values of the circuit components, the distance between the components, and the input voltage or current. Higher resistance and capacitance values, longer distances between components, and higher input voltage or current can all increase the RC delay.

4. How can RC delay be minimized?

RC delay can be minimized by using lower resistance and capacitance values in the circuit, reducing the distance between components, and using lower input voltage or current. Additionally, techniques like shielding and reducing parasitic effects can also help minimize RC delay.

5. What are some applications of understanding RC delay?

Understanding RC delay is crucial in designing high-speed and low-power circuits, as it helps in optimizing the circuit performance and reducing any unwanted delays or distortions. It is also important in signal processing, communication systems, and other electronic devices where timing and accuracy are critical.