Re: differential equations help

In summary, the author is having difficulty proving that the determinant of the three equations equals zero for a problem in differential equations where the first column is a linear combination of the second and third columns. If the determinant is zero, then the equations are linearly dependent.
confusedM
I'm having a couple problems with my diff eq assignment if anyone can help me. The problem is 1. (a) show that the diff eq. for y=c1u1(x) + c2u2(x), where u1(x) and u2(x) are functions which are at least twice differentiable, may be written in determinant form as
| y u1(x) u2(x) |
| y u1'(x) u2'(x) | = 0
| y u1''(x) u2''(x)|

b) what happens in the case where

w = | u1(x) u2(x) | = 0
| u1'(x) u2'(x)|

Physics news on Phys.org
confusedM said:
I'm having a couple problems with my diff eq assignment if anyone can help me. The problem is 1. (a) show that the diff eq. for y=c1u1(x) + c2u2(x), where u1(x) and u2(x) are functions which are at least twice differentiable, may be written in determinant form as
| y u1(x) u2(x) |
| y u1'(x) u2'(x) | = 0
| y u1''(x) u2''(x)|

b) what happens in the case where

w = | u1(x) u2(x) | = 0
| u1'(x) u2'(x)|

In that case, the two function, u1(x) and u2(x), are not independent. You need two independent solutions to write the general solution to a second order equation.

I understand that if the determinant is zero, the equations are linearly dependent, but I don't know how to go about doing the proof required to answer the problem.

That's part B... part A though asks for proof of the determinant of the three equations equaling zero...that's the part I'm really having issues with.

Well you didn't provide the DE, so I assume it's a 2nd order ODE. Is the first column of the matrix supposed to read y,y',y'' from top to bottom instead? HallsOfIvy has said you need 2 linearly independent solutions for a second order ODE, so what can you say if the determinant of that is zero?

yes it is supposed to read y, y', y"... the problem is as it is written in the book... it didn't say that it was a 2nd order ODE.
Clearly the original differential eq. and it's two derivatives are linearly dependent since the determinant is zero, but I don't understand what I'm exactly supposed to be showing

This can be verified directly. You are given y=c1u1+c2u2. Find y' and y'' and evaluate the determinant. No proof is needed because none is asked for.

Yes, Defennder is right. I had overlooked A and answered B.

If y= c1u1+ c2u2, then
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc} y & u & v \\ y' & u' & v' \\ y" & u" & v" \end{array}\right|= \left|\begin{array}{ccc} c1u+ c2v & u & v \\ c1u1'+ c2u2' & u' & v' \\ c1u1"+ c2u2" & u" & v" \end{array}\right|[/tex]

If you know a little linear algebra, and properties of determinants, the fact that the first column is a linear combination of the second and third columns, that tells you all you need. If you don't recognise that, go ahead and do the calculations.

Related to Re: differential equations help

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that involve an unknown function and its derivatives. They are used to model and describe various physical, biological, and social phenomena in the natural world.

2. How are differential equations used in science?

Differential equations are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, biology, economics, and chemistry. They are used to model and predict the behavior of systems, such as the motion of objects, population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

3. What is the importance of solving differential equations?

Solving differential equations allows scientists to understand and analyze the behavior of complex systems. It also helps in making predictions and designing solutions for real-world problems.

4. What methods are used to solve differential equations?

There are various methods used to solve differential equations, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, substitution, and numerical methods. The choice of method depends on the type and complexity of the differential equation.

5. Can differential equations be solved analytically or numerically?

Yes, differential equations can be solved both analytically and numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding an explicit formula for the unknown function, while numerical solutions involve using algorithms and computers to approximate the solution.