Reaction between marquis reagent and ibuprofen?

• Thread starter dckemp1999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses the reaction between Marquis reagent and ibuprofen, as well as the different color changes observed with ibuprofen and paracetamol. There is uncertainty about the specific mechanism of the reaction and why ibuprofen may give a color change while paracetamol does not. The possibility of different formulations or poorly characterized Marquis reagents is also mentioned.
dckemp1999
How did you find PF?: Social media

Hello there good people,

I would like to know what is the product of the reaction between marquis reagent and ibuprofen?

CH2O is Formaldehyde, SO4 is Sulfuric Acid and C13H1802 is ibuprofen

The reaction is CH2O + SO4 + C13H1802 = ??

I was wondering what this equals and why ibuprofen gives a colour change of orange to brown but paracetamol does not when reacting with Marquis?

• Skeptical
Likes hmmm27 and bob012345
Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is a valid question.

FWIW in US name for paracetamol==acetaminophen (Tylenol). I do not know a good answer, the molecules of both pain killers are different. What I can find on a search: Ibuprofen can affect renal function on overdose, acetaminophen damages liver tissues on overdose. There are Marquis color chart results for both, I believe, because for both illegal and legal drugs the Marquis test result has some legal standing.

@TeethWhitener @chemisttree

pinging two members who may know about how the reactions proceed.

Plus formulations of ibuprofen may possibly be the sodium salt. Which affects your question.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970
I’m under the impression that most Marquis reagent products are poorly characterized, since the reaction conditions are pretty harsh. It apparently involves acylation and possibly polymerization/condensation of multiple molecules, and the final color will be determined by the electronic structure of whatever weird highly conjugated molecule is left at the end of the reaction.

That said, it’s not immediately clear to me why, if aromatic substitution is the main mechanism, paracetamol wouldn’t react but ibuprofen would. They both have an aromatic core with para pendant groups that are pretty strongly activating. Maybe someone else has a better answer.

Likes Borek and jim mcnamara

1. What is the purpose of using the Marquis reagent in the reaction with ibuprofen?

The Marquis reagent is commonly used in forensic and drug testing to identify the presence of certain substances, including ibuprofen. It can produce a color change when it reacts with specific compounds, providing a quick and simple way to detect the presence of ibuprofen in a sample.

2. What type of reaction occurs between the Marquis reagent and ibuprofen?

The reaction between the Marquis reagent and ibuprofen is a colorimetric reaction. This means that a color change occurs when the two substances are mixed together, indicating the presence of ibuprofen in the sample.

3. How does the Marquis reagent specifically react with ibuprofen?

The Marquis reagent contains sulfuric acid and formaldehyde, which react with the functional groups present in ibuprofen. This produces a condensation reaction, resulting in the formation of a colored compound that can be easily observed.

4. Can the reaction between the Marquis reagent and ibuprofen be used to determine the concentration of ibuprofen in a sample?

No, the reaction between the Marquis reagent and ibuprofen is not quantitative and cannot be used to determine the exact concentration of ibuprofen in a sample. It can only indicate the presence or absence of ibuprofen in the sample.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Marquis reagent in the reaction with ibuprofen?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the Marquis reagent in the reaction with ibuprofen. It may produce false positives or false negatives if the sample contains other substances that can also react with the reagent. Additionally, the intensity of the color change may vary depending on the amount of ibuprofen present in the sample.