Reaction force on a leaned beam

In summary, the problem involves a 12[kN] beam on a smooth floor and a rough edge with a total length of 10[m]. The reaction on the edge is found using the moment equation, which yields a result of 7.5[kN]. However, there is a discrepancy with the given answer of 6.5[kN], which may be due to a mistake in considering the horizontal distance for the weight and the distance up the slope for the reaction. It is uncertain if the total reaction or just the normal reaction from the wall is required for the problem.
Karol

Homework Statement

A beam of 12[kN] is on a smooth floor on one side and on a rough edge on the other.
The total length of the beam is 10[m].
What is the reaction on the edge.

Homework Equations

Moments (torque): F1L1=F2L2

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the forces. the reaction on the floor is vertical and also on the edge since there aren't horizontal forces.
Moments around point A:
$$12[kN]\cdot 5\cdot \cos 30^0=R\cdot\frac{4[m]}{\tan 30^0}\rightarrow R=7.5[kN]$$
In the book it's 6.5, i think it's a mistake

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 515
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with 7.5kN.

Edit: looks like they took the horizontal distance for mg but the distance up the slope for the wall's reaction.
Edit 2: ... are you sure they wanted the total reaction, not just the normal reaction from the wall?

I am almost sure they want the total reaction.
I leave this problem since i have another one, a little more problematic

1. What is a reaction force on a leaned beam?

Reaction force on a leaned beam refers to the force exerted by a structure or support at the point of contact with a leaned beam in order to counteract the weight and external forces acting on the beam.

2. How is the reaction force calculated on a leaned beam?

The reaction force on a leaned beam can be calculated using the principles of static equilibrium, where the sum of all forces acting on the beam must equal zero. This can be achieved by considering the weight of the beam and any external forces, as well as the direction and magnitude of the reaction force.

3. Why is the reaction force important in designing structures with leaned beams?

The reaction force is important in designing structures with leaned beams because it helps to ensure that the beam is properly supported and can withstand the weight and external forces acting on it. Without an appropriate reaction force, the beam may not be able to maintain its stability and could potentially fail.

4. How does the angle of the leaned beam affect the reaction force?

The angle of the leaned beam can affect the reaction force in two ways. Firstly, a steeper angle will result in a greater reaction force as the weight and external forces will have a larger vertical component. Secondly, a change in angle will also result in a change in the direction of the reaction force, which must always be perpendicular to the surface of the beam.

5. Can the reaction force on a leaned beam be negative?

Yes, the reaction force on a leaned beam can be negative if the beam is not properly supported or if there are external forces acting in the opposite direction of the leaned beam. In this case, the reaction force would be pulling the beam away from the support rather than pushing against it.