1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading macbeth in my english class

1. Dec 2, 2004 #1
    hey.. currently reading macbeth in my english class and needed to find more info on Fleance, Banquo's son... i cant find any major characteristics or his importance in the story...all i found out is that he fled away after banquos death and thats it..

Any help is appreciated.. thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2004 #2

Why are you posting this here? IT'S A PHYSICS FORUM.
  4. Dec 2, 2004 #3
    i do realize that.... but there was another post about english and so i thought that it was awrite.. my bad.... sorry..
  5. Dec 2, 2004 #4
    You're right, he doesn't really play a significant role, but he does become king after Malcolm, perhaps that's what you're getting at?
    Physics or not, there would be little math without words and few words without math

Hope this helps (god, I miss english...)
  6. Dec 2, 2004 #5
    hmm first off, thanks for ur help :) ...

I need to come up with his significance but the more i research, i realize that there isnt much about him.. the following is what ive come up with :

1) He is Banquo's Son...

2)He escapes Macbeths attempt to kill him

3) He goes on to become a father for a lineage of kings.

4) The survival of Fleance ensures that the witches' prediction, that banquo's son would be come a king, can come true

I wonder how he would look??? would he look like a british monarch in ur opinion?
  7. Dec 2, 2004 #6
    Here's another tid-bit I dug up on him.

Since Banquo is described as a 'noble general' and stands as an opposite of MacBeth (taking the opposite path from MacBeth) it would follow that he would be somewhat monarch-like (like his father). Especially since his father, being a general, would have been through battle and had his fair share of scars and bumps, it stands to reason that his son might be like his father without the military wear-and-tear. Of course no one can know for sure...

Although I see here that it says Banquo "thinks ambitious thoughts, but he does not translate those thoughts into action." So if his son is anything like that, he'd make a steriotypical politician ;)

Jordan Veale

"Fleance -
    Banquo’s son, who survives Macbeth’s attempt to murder him. At the end of the play, Fleance’s whereabouts are unknown. Presumably, he may come to rule Scotland, fulfilling the witches’ prophecy that Banquo’s sons will sit on the Scottish throne."
  8. Dec 3, 2004 #7
    great... thanks a lot for ur help m8... really appreciate it..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?