Reading macbeth in my english class

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of information on Fleance, Banquo's son in Macbeth. They mention that Fleance doesn't play a significant role in the story, but becomes king after Malcolm. The conversation also includes a link to a website with more information on Fleance's character. Some possible characteristics and significance of Fleance are discussed, such as his escape from Macbeth's attempt to kill him and his role in fulfilling the witches' prophecy. The conversation also mentions his potential physical appearance and his father's description as a "noble general." They also mention that Fleance's whereabouts are unknown at the end of the play. Overall, the conversation shows appreciation for the help in finding information on Fleance.
jai6638
hey.. currently reading macbeth in my english class and needed to find more info on Fleance, Banquo's son... i can't find any major characteristics or his importance in the story...all i found out is that he fled away after banquos death and that's it..

Any help is appreciated.. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why?

Why are you posting this here? IT'S A PHYSICS FORUM.

i do realize that... but there was another post about english and so i thought that it was awrite.. my bad... sorry..

You're right, he doesn't really play a significant role, but he does become king after Malcolm, perhaps that's what you're getting at?
Physics or not, there would be little math without words and few words without math

http://www.thelandofmacbeth.com/fleance.htm

Hope this helps (god, I miss english...)

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm first off, thanks for ur help :) ...

I need to come up with his significance but the more i research, i realize that there isn't much about him.. the following is what I've come up with :

1) He is Banquo's Son...

2)He escapes Macbeths attempt to kill him

3) He goes on to become a father for a lineage of kings.

4) The survival of Fleance ensures that the witches' prediction, that banquo's son would be come a king, can come true

I wonder how he would look? would he look like a british monarch in ur opinion?

Here's another tid-bit I dug up on him.

http://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/macbeth/characters.html

Since Banquo is described as a 'noble general' and stands as an opposite of MacBeth (taking the opposite path from MacBeth) it would follow that he would be somewhat monarch-like (like his father). Especially since his father, being a general, would have been through battle and had his fair share of scars and bumps, it stands to reason that his son might be like his father without the military wear-and-tear. Of course no one can know for sure...

Although I see here that it says Banquo "thinks ambitious thoughts, but he does not translate those thoughts into action." So if his son is anything like that, he'd make a steriotypical politician ;)

Jordan Veale

"Fleance -
Banquo’s son, who survives Macbeth’s attempt to murder him. At the end of the play, Fleance’s whereabouts are unknown. Presumably, he may come to rule Scotland, fulfilling the witches’ prophecy that Banquo’s sons will sit on the Scottish throne."

great... thanks a lot for ur help m8... really appreciate it..

1. What is the main plot of Macbeth?

The main plot of Macbeth follows the story of a noble Scottish general named Macbeth, who is convinced by a group of witches that he is destined to become king. Driven by ambition and manipulation by his wife, Lady Macbeth, Macbeth and his wife plot and carry out the murder of King Duncan, leading to a series of destructive events and struggles for power.

2. Why is Macbeth considered a classic play?

Macbeth is considered a classic play because of its timeless themes of ambition, power, guilt, and the consequences of one's actions. The play also includes complex characters, poetic language, and dramatic plot twists that have continued to captivate audiences for centuries.

3. What are some major themes in Macbeth?

Some major themes in Macbeth include ambition and its consequences, the corrupting nature of power, the struggle between good and evil, and the destructive effects of guilt and remorse. Other themes include appearances vs. reality, betrayal, and the supernatural.

4. Who are some of the main characters in Macbeth?

Some of the main characters in Macbeth include Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, the power-hungry and ambitious couple who plot to become king and queen, and the three witches, who prophesize Macbeth's rise to power. Other important characters include Banquo, Macbeth's friend and fellow general, and Macduff, a nobleman who leads the rebellion against Macbeth.

5. How does reading Macbeth in my English class relate to real life?

Reading Macbeth in an English class can relate to real life by exploring universal themes and human experiences that are still relevant today. Through the characters and their actions, readers can reflect on the consequences of ambition, power, and the struggle between good and evil. The play also teaches about the dangers of blindly following prophecies and the importance of making ethical decisions.