Real Analysis: Additive function proof

In summary, the proof shows that if f is additive, then f(nx)=nf(x) for every x in R, and has a limit at each x.
geoman
Ok this is a proof I'm having trouble with. I've given the solution for the first part I got but I'm stuck and I'm not sure if the first part it correct. any help is appreciated

Homework Statement

The purpose of this project is to ascertain under what conditions an additive function has a limit at each point in R. We say that f:R[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]R is additive if for all x,y[tex]\in[/tex]R, f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)

(absolute valvue of[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]abv)

1)Show that for each positive integer n and each real number x, f(nx)=nf(x)

2)Suppose f is such that there are m>0 and a>0 such that if x[tex]\in[/tex] [-a,a], then abv(f(x))[tex]\leq[/tex]m. Choose [tex]\epsilon[/tex]>0. There is a positive integer N such that [tex]\frac{m}{N}[/tex]<[tex]\epsilon[/tex]. Show that if abv(x-y)<[tex]\frac{a}{N}[/tex], then abv(f(x)-f(y))<[tex]\epsilon[/tex].

3)Prove that if there are m>0 and a>0 such that if x[tex]\in[/tex][-a,a], then abv(f(x))[tex]\leq[/tex]m, then f has a limit at each x in R and the limit (as t moves towards x) of f(t)=f(x).

4)Prove that if f has a limit at each x in R, then there are m>0 and a>0 such that if x[tex]\in[/tex][-a,a], then abv(f(x))[tex]\leq[/tex]m.

2. The attempt at a solution

1)mathematical induction
n=1 says f(1x)=1f(x). true by inspection
n=k says f(kx)=kf(x)=f(x)sub1+f(x)sub2+...+f(x)subk. assume this is true
n=k+1 says f((k+1)x)=(k+1)f(x)?
f((k+1)x)=f(x)sub1+f(x)sub2+...+f(x)subk+f(x)sub(k+1)=kf(x)+f(x)=(k+1)f(x).
therefore if f is additive, then f(nx)=nf(x)

Physics news on Phys.org
If your induction hypothesis is f(kx)=k*f(x), then f((k+1)x)=f(kx+x)=f(kx)+f(x)=k*f(x)+f(x)=(k+1)f(x). What are all these subk's? Doesn't that prove it? Now what about 2), 3) and 4)?

in mathematical induction the objective is to prove that n=k being true implies that n=k+1 is true. if you can show this, the statement is considered true. at least that's what we were taught. BTW this is weak mathematical induction.

Now I've figured out something with part 2. If m/N is less than epsilon and abv(x-y) is less than a/N that would show that abv(f(x)-f(y)) is less than epsilon because N is a positive integer so abv(x-y) is less than a so abv(x-y) belongs to [-a,a] or more precisely [-a/N,a/N]. It makes sense to me but I am not sure how to write it as a proof

Also when I say subk, I mean subscript k. The subscript formating on here doesn't seem to work right for me. I am trying to show that I had added f(x) to itself k times

Dick's demonstration of the inductive hypothesis and inductive step is the clearest way to do the proof.

Hmmm, well noting that the distance between x and y is confined to the internal a/N does not change the fact that [tex]|f(x)| \leq m[/tex] for all x in [-a,a]. From this bound, we can basically apply a form of the triangle inequality (or think logically) to deduce that [tex]|f(x)-f(y)| \leq 2m < 2 \epsilon N[/tex].

Alright, this is what I've got for part 2)
If I let abv(x-y)<[tex]\frac{a}{N}[/tex], then I can say that abv(Nx-Ny)<a, meaning abv(Nx-Ny)[tex]\in[/tex][-a,a].
Now if I let abv(F(x)-F(y))<[tex]\frac{m}{N}[/tex], I can say that abv(NF(x)-NF(y))<m because of part one of the proof. Since [tex]\frac{m}{N}[/tex]<[tex]\epsilon[/tex], I can then say that abv(F(x)-(F(y))<[tex]\epsilon[/tex].

Just a note: I was attacked this weekend and have a bit of a concussion. If I've done some thing stupid I'll blame it on the head injury. Please let me know if this proof is any good.

Related to Real Analysis: Additive function proof

1. What is an additive function?

An additive function is a function f defined on a set of real numbers that satisfies the property f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) for all x and y in the set.

2. Why is the proof of additive function important in real analysis?

The proof of additive function is important in real analysis because it shows the fundamental properties of addition and how it relates to other concepts in mathematics. It also helps to understand the behavior of functions and their relationships with real numbers.

3. How is the proof of additive function typically approached?

The proof of additive function is typically approached using mathematical induction, where the base case is shown to hold and then the inductive step is used to prove that the property holds for all real numbers.

4. What are some common techniques used in the proof of additive function?

Some common techniques used in the proof of additive function include using algebraic manipulations, substitution, and properties of real numbers such as associativity and commutativity. Other techniques may also be used depending on the specific proof being presented.

5. Are there any applications of the proof of additive function in real-world scenarios?

Yes, the proof of additive function has many applications in real-world scenarios, particularly in the field of economics and finance where it is used to model the behavior of quantities that involve addition, such as income and expenditure. It is also fundamental in understanding the properties of functions in calculus and other areas of mathematics.