Proving Compactness of K ∩ F Using Convergent Sequences

In summary, to prove that K n F is compact, we start by considering a sequence (x_n) in K n F. By the definition of compactness, we can find a subsequence (x_{n_k}) in K that converges to a limit \overline{x} in K. Since F is closed and (x_{n_k}) is a sequence in F, we know that \overline{x} is also in F. Thus, we can apply the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem to the subsequence (x_{n_k}) and conclude that (x_n) itself is compact. Therefore, K n F is compact.
t3128

Homework Statement

Show that if K is compact and F is closed, then K n F is compact.

Homework Equations

A subset K of R is compact if every sequence in K has a subsequence that converges to a limit that is also in K.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that closed sets can be characterized in terms of convergent sequences. Am I suppose to use that to prove the question?I really have no idea how to do this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Think of a sequence in [tex]K \cap F[/tex]; then think about what it means that the sequence is both in [tex]K[/tex] and in [tex]F[/tex].

Sorry I didn't quite understand that, would you please be able to explain it a bit more?

You want to determine if [tex]K\cap F[/tex] is compact using a statement about sequences. So if you have a general sequence in [tex]K\cap F[/tex], you can learn one thing about it by knowing the sequence is in K, and another thing about it by knowing the sequence is in F. Combine those two things and see if you get what you need to show that [tex]K\cap F[/tex] is compact

Ok, this is what I have got:

Let xn be in KnF.
=> xn is in K. =>We know that K is compact, so every sequence in K has a subsequence that converges to a limit that is also in K.
=> xn is in F. => By definition, if xn -> c , then c is in F. By B-W theorem, it must have a convergent subsequence which converges to the same limit c.
So xn is compact.

Am I getting closer?

You have the right set of ideas, but they're put together in a sequence that doesn't make sense.

The start is right. Let [tex](x_n)[/tex] be a sequence in [tex]K \cap F[/tex]. Since [tex]K[/tex] is compact, you can find a subsequence [tex](x_{n_k})[/tex] of [tex](x_n)[/tex] which converges to some point [tex]\overline{x} \in K[/tex].

Now the next sentence needs to begin "Since [tex]F[/tex] is closed and the subsequence [tex](x_{n_k})[/tex] is a sequence in [tex]F[/tex]..."

And the third sentence should end "therefore [tex]K \cap F[/tex] is compact."

Try filling that in.

1. What is the definition of a compact set in real analysis?

A compact set in real analysis is a subset of real numbers that is both closed and bounded. This means that the set contains all of its limit points and is limited in size, with a finite or infinite number of elements.

2. How is a compact set different from a closed set in real analysis?

While both compact and closed sets contain all of their limit points, a compact set is also bounded, meaning it has a finite or infinite number of elements. A closed set, on the other hand, may or may not be bounded.

3. Can a subset of a compact set also be compact?

Yes, a subset of a compact set can also be compact. This is because a subset inherits the properties of its parent set, meaning it will also be closed and bounded.

4. How can compact sets be used in real analysis?

Compact sets are useful in real analysis because they have many important properties, such as being closed and bounded, which can be used to prove theorems and make calculations. They also play a crucial role in the study of continuity and convergence of functions.

5. Are all closed and bounded sets in real analysis also compact?

No, not all closed and bounded sets in real analysis are compact. For example, a closed interval on the real number line is both closed and bounded, but it is not compact. A set must meet specific criteria, such as being a subset of a complete metric space, to be considered compact.