Real Analysis Function defined as sum

In summary, we are given a function h(x)=|x| over the interval [-1,1] and asked to extend its definition to be a periodic sawtooth function. We then define hn(x) as (1/2n)h(2nx) and g(x) as the sum of hn(x) as n goes from 0 to infinity. We also define the sequence xm=1/2m and are asked to prove that [g(xm)-g(0)]/[xm-0]=m+1 and use this to show that g'(0) does not exist. We rewrite the function g(x) and use the sequence xm to simplify it, but are unable to solve for g'(0).
Lazerlike42
First, apologies for the notation.. the computer I am currently using does not support the various buttons to create proper notation.

Homework Statement

Given h(x)=|x| over [-1,1], extend the definition such that h(x+2)=h(x). That is, make h(x) be a periodic sawtooth function.

Now let hn(x)=(1/2n)h(2nx).

Then define g(x)=sigma[hn(x)]=sigma[(1/2n)h(2nx)] as n goes from 0 to infinity.

Define the sequence xm=1/2m, where m=0, 1, 2, ...

Prove that [g(xm)-g(0)]/[xm-0]=m+1 and use this to prove that g'(0) does not exist.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea. The best I have been able to do is to write the function as:

g(x)=sigma[(1/2n)|2nx|] as n goes from 0 to infinity

and then substitute xm for x to yield:

g(x)=sigma[(1/2n)|2n*(1/2m)|] as n goes from 0 to infinity

and simplify it to:

g(x)=sigma[(1/2)n|2n-m|] as n goes from 0 to infinity. Otherwise, I have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's helpful, now that I am home I can post these things with better notation:

h(x) = |x|

hn(x)=[tex]\frac{1}{2^{n}}[/tex]h(2nx)

g(x)=[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}[/tex]hn(x)=[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2^{n}}[/tex]h(2nx)

Let the sequence xm=[tex]\frac{1}{2^{m}}[/tex], where m=0, 1, 2, ...

Prove that [tex]\frac{g(x_{m})-g(0)}{x_{m}-0}[/tex] = m + 1
and use this to show that g'(0) does not exist.

My Attempt at a Solution

Rewrite as:

g(x)=[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{1}{2^{n}}[/tex]|2nx|

Then [tex]\frac{g(x_{m})-g(0)}{x_{m}-0}[/tex]= [tex] \frac{\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{1}{2^{n}}|2^{n}\frac{1}{2^{m}}|}{\frac{1}{2^{m}}}[/tex]=[tex] \frac{\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{1}{2^{n}}|2^{n-m}|}{\frac{1}{2^{m}}}[/tex]=[tex] {2^{m}}{\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{1}{2^{n}}|2^{n-m}|}[/tex]
That's about it...

Last edited:

Related to Real Analysis Function defined as sum

What is Real Analysis Function defined as sum?

Real Analysis Function defined as sum is a type of mathematical function that is used in the study of real numbers and their properties. It involves the concept of a sum, which is a mathematical operation that combines two or more numbers to produce a single result.

What are the main components of a Real Analysis Function defined as sum?

The main components of a Real Analysis Function defined as sum are the domain, the range, and the rule or formula that defines how the function operates. The domain is the set of input values, the range is the set of output values, and the rule or formula describes how the input values are transformed into the output values.

What is the difference between a Real Analysis Function defined as sum and other types of functions?

The main difference between a Real Analysis Function defined as sum and other types of functions is the use of a sum to combine the input values. Other types of functions may use different mathematical operations, such as multiplication, division, or exponentiation, to transform the input values into the output values.

How is a Real Analysis Function defined as sum used in practical applications?

A Real Analysis Function defined as sum is used in a variety of practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model real-world phenomena, make predictions, and solve problems involving quantities that can be represented as sums of other quantities.

What are some common examples of Real Analysis Functions defined as sum?

Some common examples of Real Analysis Functions defined as sum include arithmetic series, geometric series, and power series. Other examples include the Riemann zeta function, the Dirichlet eta function, and the Bernoulli numbers. These functions have important applications in number theory, calculus, and other areas of mathematics.