Real Analysis Help: Prove f Uniformly Continuous on (a,b)

In summary: N\in\mathbb{N}$$such that for all ##n\geq N##, there exists ##c\in (x,y)##such that$$f'(c) = \frac{f(y) - f(x)}{y - x}.$$This completes the proof.
tiger2030

Homework Statement

Let f : (a, b) → R be a continuous function on (a, b) such that |f'(x)| <= 1 for all x that are elements of (a,b). Prove that f is uniformly continuous function on (a,b).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof:For the sequence {xn}, where the limit(n→∞) xn = xo, then limit(n→∞) |((f(xn)-f(xo))/(xn-xo))| <= 1. This can be rewritten as limit(n→∞) |(f(xn)-f(xo)) <= limit(n→∞) |xn-xo|. For uniformly continuous, for all ε>0 and x,y that are elements of (a,b), there exists a δ such that |x-y|<δ implies |f(x)-f(y)|<ε. Let x=Xn and y=Xo. Then if ε=δ, then limit(n→∞) |(f(xn)-f(xo)) <= limit(n→∞) |xn-xo|<δ=ε and therefore f is uniformly continuous on (a,b)

Any help on where to improve this or if there are any steps that are incorrect would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
tiger2030 said:

Homework Statement

Let f : (a, b) → R be a continuous function on (a, b) such that |f'(x)| <= 1 for all x that are elements of (a,b). Prove that f is uniformly continuous function on (a,b).

Homework Equations

Proof:For the sequence {xn}, where the limit(n→∞) xn = xo, then limit(n→∞) |((f(xn)-f(xo))/(xn-xo))| <= 1. This can be rewritten as limit(n→∞) |(f(xn)-f(xo)) <= limit(n→∞) |xn-xo|. For uniformly continuous, for all ε>0 and x,y that are elements of (a,b), there exists a δ such that |x-y|<δ implies |f(x)-f(y)|<ε. Let x=Xn and y=Xo. Then if ε=δ, then limit(n→∞) |(f(xn)-f(xo)) <= limit(n→∞) |xn-xo|<δ=ε and therefore f is uniformly continuous on (a,b)

Any help on where to improve this or if there are any steps that are incorrect would be greatly appreciated.

My suggestion would be to abandon that approach and think about using the mean value theorem.

tiger2030 said:

Homework Statement

Let f : (a, b) → R be a continuous function on (a, b) such that |f'(x)| <= 1 for all x that are elements of (a,b).

So [itex]f[/itex] is actually a differentiable function (which is sufficient, but not necessary, for [itex]f[/itex] to be continuous).

Prove that f is uniformly continuous function on (a,b).

Homework Equations

Proof:For the sequence {xn}, where the limit(n→∞) xn = xo, then limit(n→∞) |((f(xn)-f(xo))/(xn-xo))| <= 1. This can be rewritten as limit(n→∞) |(f(xn)-f(xo)) <= limit(n→∞) |xn-xo|.

This just says that [itex]0 \leq 0[/itex], which is true but not useful.

You can say that for all [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], there exists [itex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that if [itex]n \geq N[/itex] then
[tex]
-1 - \epsilon \leq f'(x_0) - \epsilon < \frac{f(x_n) - f(x_0)}{x_n - x_0} < f'(x_0) + \epsilon \leq 1 + \epsilon
[/tex]
so that
[tex]
|f(x_n) - f(x_0)| < (1 + \epsilon)|x_n - x_0|
[/tex]
which doesn't get you there; to take [itex]\epsilon \to 0[/itex] you must also take [itex]N \to \infty[/itex] which again gives you [itex]0 \leq 0[/itex].

It is best to use the mean value theorem: Let [itex]x \in (a,b)[/itex] and [itex]y \in (a,b)[/itex] be arbitrary such that [itex]|x - y| < \epsilon[/itex].
If [itex]x < y[/itex] then [itex]f[/itex] is continuous on [itex][x,y][/itex] and differentiable on [itex](x,y)[/itex]. Thus by the MVT there exists [itex]c \in (x,y)[/itex] such that
[tex]
f'(c) = \frac{f(y) - f(x)}{y - x}.
[/tex]

Last edited:
Ok so I see that I can get f(y)-f(x)=f'(c)(y-x) and then I know from the assumptions that |f'(c)|≤1. From a previous exercise I know that any contraction is uniformly continuous on the domain. (The exercise says: f is said to be a contraction if there exists a c such that 0<c<1 such that for all x,y that are elements of the domain, we have |f(x)-f(y)|≤c|x-y|). Basically, if I can get from f(y)-f(x)=f'(c)(y-x) to |f(x)-f(y)|≤c|x-y| I will be able to say that it is uniformly continuous. Is it enough to use triangle inequality to say these are equivalent?

tiger2030 said:
Ok so I see that I can get f(y)-f(x)=f'(c)(y-x) and then I know from the assumptions that |f'(c)|≤1. From a previous exercise I know that any contraction is uniformly continuous on the domain. (The exercise says: f is said to be a contraction if there exists a c such that 0<c<1 such that for all x,y that are elements of the domain, we have |f(x)-f(y)|≤c|x-y|). Basically, if I can get from f(y)-f(x)=f'(c)(y-x) to |f(x)-f(y)|≤c|x-y| I will be able to say that it is uniformly continuous. Is it enough to use triangle inequality to say these are equivalent?

You don't need that contraction mapping theorem. You have$$
|f(y) - f(x)|= |f'(c)||y-x| \le 1\cdot |y-x|$$So given ##\epsilon > 0## pick ##\delta##...

So if we pick δ=ε, then |f(y)−f(x)|=|f′(c)||y−x|≤1⋅|y−x|≤δ=ε and therefore |x-y|≤δ implies |f(y)−f(x)|≤ε, making it uniformly continuous

1. What is the definition of uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a property of a function that states that for any two points in the function's domain, the difference between the function values at those points can be made arbitrarily small by choosing points that are close enough together. In other words, as the distance between the two points approaches zero, the difference in the function values also approaches zero.

2. How is uniform continuity different from continuity?

Uniform continuity differs from continuity in that it applies to an entire function over a specific interval, rather than just at a single point. A function can be continuous at a point but not uniformly continuous over an interval, as there may be points within the interval where the function values are significantly different.

3. What is the significance of proving uniform continuity?

Proving uniform continuity is important in real analysis because it allows us to make generalizations about the behavior of a function over a given interval. It also helps us to establish properties of a function, such as differentiability, which rely on the function being uniformly continuous.

4. How do you prove that a function is uniformly continuous on an interval?

To prove that a function is uniformly continuous on an interval, we must show that for any given epsilon greater than zero, there exists a delta greater than zero such that for all x and y in the interval, if the distance between them is less than delta, then the difference between the function values at those points is less than epsilon.

5. Are there any common techniques or strategies for proving uniform continuity?

Yes, there are several common techniques for proving uniform continuity. These include using the definition of uniform continuity, the Mean Value Theorem, the Intermediate Value Theorem, and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. Additionally, understanding the properties of continuous functions can also be helpful in proving uniform continuity.