Real Analysis proof limits and bounded functions

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if a function is bounded by [a,b] near a certain point p, and has a limit L as x approaches p, then L is also an element of [a,b]. The suggested method is to use the Sequential Characterization of Limits and perform a proof by contradiction. Another quick method is to subtract L from both sides of the inequality and take the limit to rearrange the resulting inequality.
kbrono

Homework Statement

Let f be a function and p[tex]\in[/tex] . Assume that a[tex]\leq[/tex]f(x)[tex]\leq[/tex]b near p. Prove that if L= lim f(x) as x-->p Then L[tex]\in[/tex] [a,b]

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to say that because f(x) is bounded by [a,b] that automatically implies that the Limit L is also bounded by [a,b] and is therefore an element. But i have a feeling I'm supposed to make a sequence from the Sequential Characterization of Limits...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the easiest approach is to do a proof by contradiction. Assume L is not in [a,b] and derive a contradiction. Funny, I think I gave the same advice yesterday.

Ah ok, thank you

Ok here's what I tried

Basically I said assume L is not an element of [a,b] Then since f(x) is only defined on the interval [a,b]/{p} Then [a,b]/{p} contains L. Therefore L is an element of [a,b]

A quick an "cheap" way to do this is by subtracting L from all sides of the inequality and then take the limit of each side. Finally, rearrange the resulting inequality.

What is Real Analysis?

Real Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the rigorous study of the real numbers and the functions defined on them.

What is a proof in Real Analysis?

A proof in Real Analysis is a mathematical argument that provides logical justification for the validity of a statement or theorem. It follows a set of axioms and rules of inference to show that a statement is true.

What is a limit in Real Analysis?

A limit in Real Analysis is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that the function approaches, rather than the actual value of the function at that point.

What does it mean for a function to be bounded in Real Analysis?

A function is bounded in Real Analysis if there exists a finite number M such that the absolute value of the function is always less than or equal to M for all values of the input. This means that the function's values do not increase or decrease indefinitely.

Why is Real Analysis important?

Real Analysis is important because it provides the foundation for many other branches of mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, and probability. It also has applications in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.