Real Analysis: Proving an*bn converges to ab

In summary, the problem statement is to use the given equalities and the definition of convergence to prove that the sequence {an*bn} converges to ab. The solution involves using basic algebra to manipulate the given equality and then applying the triangle inequality to show that the expression (an-a)(bn-b)+b(an-a)+a(bn-b) goes to zero as n goes to infinity.
TeenieBopper

Homework Statement

Use the fact that an= a + (an - a) and bn= b + (bn - b) to establish the equality an*bn - ab = (an-a)(bn-b)+b(an-a)+a(bn-b).

Then, use this equality to prove that the sequence {an*bn} converges to ab.

Homework Equations

Definition of convergence: |an*bn - ab| < ε

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part was easy; just basic algebra. I'm stuck on the last part. I'm not sure where to begin. I tried expanding out the right side, hoping to find something I could use the triangle inequality on. I ended up with

an*bn - ab= an*bn -b*an -a*bn +ab+b*an-ab+a*bn-ab

= an*bn+a*bn-ab

= bn(an+a)-ab

I don't think I can do anything with that. Any suggestions where I can go from here? Am I even starting in the right place?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the problem statement: if [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty} a_n = a[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty} b_n = b[/itex] proove that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty} a_nb_n = ab[/itex]??

Karamata said:
Is the problem statement: if [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty} a_n = a[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty} b_n = b[/itex] proove that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty} a_nb_n = ab[/itex]??

Yes, sorry. Assume that an and bn converge to a and b, respectively.

All you need to do is show that (an-a)(bn-b)+b(an-a)+a(bn-b) goes to zero as n goes to infinity. If n is really big, what can you say about an-a? What about bn-b? What does that say about the size of the entire expression?

The triangle inequality you might want to use is
[tex] |(a_n-a)(b_n-b)+b(a_n-a)+a(b_n-b)| \leq |(a_n-a)(b_n-b)|+|b(a_n-a)|+|a(b_n-b)|[/tex]

Ya I agree with the above posters. This type of question is a triangle inequality question.

1. What is real analysis?

Real analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties. It involves the rigorous study of limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, and convergence of sequences and series.

2. What does it mean for a sequence to converge?

A sequence converges when its terms approach a specific value, known as the limit, as the number of terms in the sequence increases. In other words, as n approaches infinity, the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to the limit.

3. What is the definition of convergence of a sequence?

A sequence (an) converges to a limit a if for any positive number ε, there exists a positive integer N such that for all n ≥ N, |an - a| < ε. This means that the terms of the sequence eventually get closer and closer to the limit, with the distance between them becoming smaller than any given positive number ε.

4. How do you prove that a sequence (an) converges to a limit a?

To prove that a sequence converges to a limit, we need to show that for any positive number ε, we can find a positive integer N such that for all n ≥ N, |an - a| < ε. This can be done by using the definition of convergence and manipulating the terms of the sequence until we find a pattern that satisfies the definition.

5. How is the convergence of a product of two sequences (an) and (bn) related to the convergence of the individual sequences?

If the sequences (an) and (bn) both converge to limits a and b respectively, then the product sequence (an*bn) will also converge to the product of the limits, ab. In other words, if (an) converges to a and (bn) converges to b, then (an*bn) converges to ab.