Real Analysis: Finding the Limit of a Riemann Sum

In summary, the limit of the given sum can be rewritten as a Riemann sum with f(x) = x^3, and by choosing \xi = k/n = xk, the limit becomes \int_{0}^1x^3 which evaluates to 1/4. For the second problem, the sum can be rewritten as (1/n)*(n^2/(n^2+k^2)), and by choosing \xi = k/n, the limit becomes \int_{0}^1sqrt(1-x^2) which evaluates to pi/4.
steelphantom

Homework Statement

Find the limit, as n -> infinity, of [tex]\sum_{k=1}^n[/tex]k3/n4

Homework Equations

Riemann sum: S(f, [tex]\pi[/tex], [tex]\sigma[/tex]) = [tex]\sum_{k=1}^n[/tex]f([tex]\xi[/tex])(xk - xk-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is that I should try to put this sum in terms of a Riemann sum, and then taking n -> infinity will give an integral of something. I'm just not sure what it is. Any hints? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you'll be successful with a Riemann sum.

I tried a few approaches, and then started to look at the sequence of partial sums, S_n, where S_n = 1^3/n^4 + 2^3/n^4 + ... + n^3/n^4
= 1/n^4 * (1^3 + 2^3 + ... + n^3)

I started adding up the terms in the sum on the right and found that:
1^3 + 2^3 = 9
1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 = 36
1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + 4^3 = 100
1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + 4^3 + 5^3 = 225

There seemed to be a pattern here: each of the rightmost numbers is a perfect square, and further, each perfect square was directly related to the numbers being cubed on the left side of the equals sign.

In other words,

1^3 + 2^3 = 9 = 3^2
1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 = 36 = 6^2
1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + 4^3 = 100 = 10^2
1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + 4^3 + 5^3 = 225 = 15^2

In the first bunch, you have 1 + 2 = 3
In the second, you have 1 + 2 + 3 = 6
In the third, you have 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10
In the fourth, you have 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15

I don't know if this is enough of a hint to get you all the way through this problem, but maybe it is. You'll still need to do some more work to find out whether S_n has a limit.

It's pretty likely to be a Riemann sum for f(x)=x^3. Don't you agree? Try it and see if it works. It does.

Dick said:
It's pretty likely to be a Riemann sum for f(x)=x^3. Don't you agree? Try it and see if it works. It does.

As usual, I'm just not seeing it. :redface: I guess the k^3 should be a dead giveaway, but I'm not sure what to do about the n^4. Is the limit = [tex]\int[/tex]x^3 from a to b?

By using the definition of a Riemann sum, I get: [tex]\sum_{k=1}^n \xi[/tex]3(xk-xk-1). But what are the xks?

Divide the interval [0,1] into n equal parts. The x_k's are the boundaries of the subintervals {1/n,2/n,3/n,...n/n}. Which point in each interval would be a good choice for 'xi'??

Last edited:
Ok, so if I choose [tex]\xi[/tex] = k/n = xk, then I get

[tex]\sum[/tex](k/n)3(k/n - (k-1)/n) = [tex]\sum[/tex](k3/n3)(1/n) = [tex]\sum[/tex]k3/n4.

So the limit of this sum is [tex]\int_{0}^1[/tex]x^3 ?

steelphantom said:
Ok, so if I choose [tex]\xi[/tex] = k/n = xk, then I get

[tex]\sum[/tex](k/n)3(k/n - (k-1)/n) = [tex]\sum[/tex](k3/n3)(1/n) = [tex]\sum[/tex]k3/n4.

So the limit of this sum is [tex]\int_{0}^1[/tex]x^3 ?

Exactly.

Cool. Thanks!

Ok, I have another Riemann sum, but this time, it actually says what the integral evaluates to. The question is the following:

Show that the limit as n -> infinity [tex]\sum_{k=1}^n[/tex]n/(n2+k2) = pi/4.

So I'm thinking that f(x) = sqrt(1-x2) on [0, 1]. But I'm having a hard time figuring out what to choose for [tex]\xi[/tex] and xk so that the sums match up. I wouldn't just say that xk = k/n again, would I? It doesn't seem like that would work.

Last edited:
steelphantom said:

Homework Statement

Find the limit, as n -> infinity, of [tex]\sum_{k=1}^n[/tex]k3/n4

Homework Equations

Riemann sum: S(f, [tex]\pi[/tex], [tex]\sigma[/tex]) = [tex]\sum_{k=1}^n[/tex]f([tex]\xi[/tex])(xk - xk-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is that I should try to put this sum in terms of a Riemann sum, and then taking n -> infinity will give an integral of something. I'm just not sure what it is. Any hints? Thanks!

There is a closed-form expression that will help with this.
[tex]
\sum_{k=1}^n k^3
[/tex]

can be written as a 4th degree polynomial in n: that will make your limit as [tex] n \to \infty [/tex] easier to evaluate

statdad said:
There is a closed-form expression that will help with this.
[tex]
\sum_{k=1}^n k^3
[/tex]

can be written as a 4th degree polynomial in n: that will make your limit as [tex] n \to \infty [/tex] easier to evaluate

Thanks statdad, but I've already figured that one out with Dick's help. See the post right before yours for the one I'm now having trouble with.

steelphantom said:
Ok, I have another Riemann sum, but this time, it actually says what the integral evaluates to. The question is the following:

Show that the limit as n -> infinity [tex]\sum_{k=1}^n[/tex]n/(n2+k2) = pi/4.

So I'm thinking that f(x) = sqrt(1-x2) on [0, 1]. But I'm having a hard time figuring out what to choose for [tex]\xi[/tex] and xk so that the sums match up. I wouldn't just say that xk = k/n again, would I? It doesn't seem like that would work.

Since you got the last one, you know there should be a (1/n) for the interval length and the rest should be the f(k/n) part. So write it as (1/n)*(n^2/(n^2+k^2)). Do you see it yet? Can you write n^2/(n^2+k^2) as a function of k/n?

Last edited:
Dick said:
Since you got the last one, you know there should be a (1/n) for the interval length and the rest should be the f(k/n) part. So write it as (1/n)*(n^2/(n^2+k^2)). Do you see it yet? Can you write n^2/(n^2+k^2) as a function of k/n?

Got it. Thanks!

Related to Real Analysis: Finding the Limit of a Riemann Sum

1. What is a Riemann sum?

A Riemann sum is a method of approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and calculating the total area of those rectangles.

2. Why are Riemann sums important in real analysis?

Riemann sums are important in real analysis because they provide a way to approximate the area under a curve, which is a fundamental concept in calculus and real analysis. They also serve as the foundation for more advanced integration techniques.

3. How do you calculate a Riemann sum?

To calculate a Riemann sum, you first divide the interval of the function into smaller subintervals. Then, you choose a point within each subinterval and use the function to calculate the height of a rectangle on that subinterval. Finally, you add up the areas of all the rectangles to get an approximate value for the area under the curve.

4. What is the difference between a left, right, and midpoint Riemann sum?

A left Riemann sum uses the left endpoint of each subinterval to calculate the height of the rectangle, a right Riemann sum uses the right endpoint, and a midpoint Riemann sum uses the midpoint of each subinterval. The choice of which type of Riemann sum to use can affect the accuracy of the approximation.

5. How does the number of subintervals affect the accuracy of a Riemann sum?

The more subintervals used in a Riemann sum, the more accurate the approximation will be. As the number of subintervals approaches infinity, the Riemann sum becomes an exact calculation of the area under the curve.