Proving That T Has a Supremum: A Mathematical Exercise

In summary, The conversation is about proving that the set T, which is defined as the inverse of S, has a supremum equal to 1/c where c is the infimum of S. The attempt at a solution involves finding an upper bound of T and proving that it is the least upper bound. One approach is to argue by contradiction, but there seems to be some confusion about the criteria for proving the least upper bound.
dargar
Homework Statement

Let S be a set of positive real numbers with an infimum c > 0 and let the set T = {[tex]\frac{1}{t}[/tex] : t [tex]\in[/tex] S}.

Show that T has a supremum and what is it's value.

The attempt at a solution

Ok, so the value must be [tex]\frac{1}{c}[/tex].

But I'm unsure how to start proving that T must have a supremum. Any starting hints would be great :) thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1/c is absolutely an upper bound, thus you need to prove it is the supremum, which means, for any e>0, you can find a 1/s such that 1/s > 1/c-e. find such s based on the fact that c is the infimum of S.

Okay I think I have something but I'm unsure whether it's right.

for [tex]\frac{1}{c}[/tex] = sup T it must meet the following two criteria.

1) [tex]\frac{1}{c}[/tex] is an upper bound such that [tex]\frac{1}{c}[/tex] [tex]\geq[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{t}[/tex] [tex]\forall[/tex] t [tex]\in[/tex] S

2) [tex]\forall[/tex] e > 0, [tex]\exists[/tex] x [tex]\in[/tex] A with [tex]\frac{1}{c+e}[/tex]< [tex]\frac{1}{t}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{c}[/tex]

So my attempted proof follows that we can argue by contradiction.

supposing [tex]\frac{1}{c}[/tex] satisfies 1 and 2.

So 1) [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{c}[/tex] is an upper bound

Assume that [tex]\frac{1}{c'}[/tex] = sup T so [tex]\frac{1}{c'}[/tex] < [tex]\frac{1}{c}[/tex].

From this I get for some e > 0 [tex]\frac{1}{c'}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{c+e}[/tex].

2) [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\exists[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{t}[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] T with [tex]\frac{1}{c+e}[/tex]< [tex]\frac{1}{t}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{c}[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{c'}[/tex]< [tex]\frac{1}{t}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{c}[/tex] which contadicts the fact that c' = sup T

Think I've made a bit of a mess of it as I'm trying to base it off an example that's kind of similar in my notes

what is the x in your 2) criteria?
What is the A in your 2) criteria?
By the definition, you 2) criteria should be:
for any e>0, there exists a t in S such that 1/t > 1/c - e.
If you think your criteria is equavalent to this one, you have to show us. ( I havn't checked it)

If you want to argue by contradiction, you made something wrong.
You already assume that 1/c satisfies 1 and 2, which implies that 1/c is the least upper bound. you assume again that 1/d should be the least upper bound, which is less than 1/c. From these two assupmtions alone, you already get a contradiction

What is a supremum?

A supremum, also known as a least upper bound, is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the elements in a set.

Why is proving that T has a supremum important?

Proving that T has a supremum is important because it confirms the existence of a smallest upper bound for a given set T. This is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in various proofs and calculations.

What are the steps involved in proving that T has a supremum?

The steps involved in proving that T has a supremum are as follows:

1. Show that T is a non-empty set.
  2. Show that T is bounded above.
  3. Assume that there exists a supremum S for T.
  4. Prove that S is an upper bound for T.
  5. Prove that S is the smallest upper bound for T.

Can T have more than one supremum?

No, T can only have one supremum. This is because the supremum is defined as the smallest upper bound, so there can only be one number that satisfies this condition.

What are some examples of sets that have a supremum?

Some examples of sets that have a supremum are:

• The set of all positive integers has a supremum of infinity.
  • The set of all real numbers between 0 and 1 has a supremum of 1.
  • The set of all rational numbers between 0 and 1 has a supremum of 1.